jld55

Default Accent marks directly on top of letters (English)

I want to insert accent marks directly on top of letters, e.g., "Alarcon"
with the accent mark over the "o" rather than the mark breaking up the word
such as "Alarc[accent mark space]on" or "Alarco[accent space]n" or
Alarcon[accent mark after "n"]. This name happens to be Hispanic. Do I need
to switch to Spanish to get the mark? I see a tildee in the Symbols menu and
it works directly over the "n". Another example is "de ja vu" (French)
placing the regular accent mark over the "e" and a backwards accent mark over
the "a". I see it printed this way in a dictionary.
Jay Freedman

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Herb Tyson [MVP]

As a general rule in Word, you can press Ctrl+ the accent you want to use,
followed by the letter you want accented. So, Ctrl+' followed by e gives you
é, or Ctl+` followed by e gives you è.

If you need a more comprehensive and natural solution, look into installing
foreign keyboard support in the Languages toolbar.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com