Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue O'Donnell

Default Prevent italics in numbered heading

I am creating a manual with headings that are numbered. If the heading title
starts with an italicized word, the number of the heading becomes italicized.
Is there any way to prevent this from happening. I want to be able to
italicize the first word in a four word title while keeping the number of the
heading in regular font (not italicized.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue O'Donnell

Suzanne,

Thanks. Actually I misstated my problem. The paragraph mark isn't in italics
because I only italized one word. And the heading number in the text doesn't
go to italics. What I should have said is that I'm trying to prevent the
Table of Contents number from showing up in italics. I have generated the
TOC, but the numbers for all titles that start with a word in italics show up
in italics. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

Sue

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Display nonprinting characters (Ctrl+*). Select just the paragraph mark at
the end of the numbered paragraph and remove the italic formatting.

"Sue O'Donnell" wrote in message
I am creating a manual with headings that are numbered. If the heading

title
starts with an italicized word, the number of the heading becomes

italicized.
Is there any way to prevent this from happening. I want to be able to
italicize the first word in a four word title while keeping the number of

the
heading in regular font (not italicized.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What happens if you select the TOC entry and press Ctrl+Spacebar?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Display nonprinting characters (Ctrl+*). Select just the paragraph mark

at
the end of the numbered paragraph and remove the italic formatting.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Sue O'Donnell" wrote in message
I am creating a manual with headings that are numbered. If the heading

title
starts with an italicized word, the number of the heading becomes

italicized.
Is there any way to prevent this from happening. I want to be able to
italicize the first word in a four word title while keeping the number

of
the
heading in regular font (not italicized.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue O'Donnell

Suzanne,

When I do that, the entire line goes to plain text, including the first word
that I want to have in italics. So far the only thing I can do is to turn the
whole line to straight text and then select the one word and italicize that.
Of course, that means I will have to manually intervene every time I generate
a TOC. Since it's a 300 page document with a 10 page TOC and approximately 25
of the lines having the first word italicized, I've pretty much decided to
forgo the italics in the title line and only using it in the paragraph text
that follows the heading.

Sue

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Display nonprinting characters (Ctrl+*). Select just the paragraph mark

at
the end of the numbered paragraph and remove the italic formatting.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Sue O'Donnell" wrote in message
I am creating a manual with headings that are numbered. If the heading
title
starts with an italicized word, the number of the heading becomes
italicized.
Is there any way to prevent this from happening. I want to be able to
italicize the first word in a four word title while keeping the number

of
the
heading in regular font (not italicized.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is certainly frustrating. If I have time tonight, I'll play with this
and see if I can figure out what the problem is.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Display nonprinting characters (Ctrl+*). Select just the paragraph

mark
at
the end of the numbered paragraph and remove the italic formatting.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Sue O'Donnell" wrote in

message
I am creating a manual with headings that are numbered. If the

heading
title
starts with an italicized word, the number of the heading becomes
italicized.
Is there any way to prevent this from happening. I want to be able

italicize the first word in a four word title while keeping the

number
of
the
heading in regular font (not italicized.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Toggle the TOC field (Alt + F9) then add a \*charformat switch (if there is
already a \*mergeformat switch present (probably not) remove it.
eg
{ TOC \o "1-3" \h \z \u \*charformat}
toggle the display back again then F9 to update entire table.