Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stmx3 stmx3 is offline

Default Equation changes from Display to Inline mode

Hi,
In Word 2007, I cannot type an equation number on the same line as the
equation without it changing to the inline format. For example, using
the summation character (capital sigma) for i=1 to n, I like the
format with 'i=1' at the bottom of sigma, and 'n' at the top. I can
do this up until the point I step out of the equation box and try to
enter a tab character and an equation number. Then the sigma format
changes to the Inline mode (with 'i=1' and 'n' to the bottom and top
RIGHT of sigma).

In Word 2003, an equation was treated as an object and did not change
format no matter what I typed on the same line.

Any advice? Or do I have to resort to Equation Editor 3.0 in Word
2007 to get the desired format?

Thanks,
-Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

On 5-Apr-2007, Jim wrote:

In Word 2007, I cannot type an equation number on the same
line as the equation without it changing to the inline format.

Jim, that's just one of the limitations of Equation Builder that
you'll have to live with for now. Whether Microsoft will
eventually change it or not, this will be one of the features
included in MathType 6 (soon to be in beta). Even if you choose
to use Equation Builder for your equation authoring rather than
MathType, the new version of MathType will add much additional
functionality to Equation Builder. This is but one of those
features.

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training
bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide