paolobonja paolobonja is offline
Junior Member

Question Multilevel numbering

Hi,

I have to work on an MS word document that is giving me

1
1.1
1.2
1.3
1.1.2
2
2.1
1.1.3
2.2
1.1.4

I tried my best and have seen videos and can't understand: How I can make sure that after my paragraph changes to say 3.1 I have 3.1.1 and not 1.1.3?? Please can you describe to me where my mistake is and how to solve it?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Paolobonja

Last edited by paolobonja : January 2nd 15 at 04:13 PM
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Multilevel numbering

To make a multi-level numbered list, you must place your cursor in the very
first paragraph that will have a number. (In this case, it's para. 1.)

On the Home tab, click the icon for a multi-level list, and at the bottom of the panel that appears, choose "New multilevel list." A pane will open up.
Click "More" and a little addition appears at the right (where all the
important items are). Choose Level 1 and assign it to one of the paragraph styles (probably the one called "Heading 1"). Then choose Level 2, assign it
to the next paragraph style, and make sure you see "1.1." in the window at
the left, and be sure to check "Restart numbering after Level 1." Then do
the same for Level 3.

I don't think you can do this by trying to change the existing schema, you
have to start with a "New" one.

On Friday, January 2, 2015 9:31:01 AM UTC-5, paolobonja wrote:
Hi,

I have to a work document that was giving me

--
paolobonja

paolobonja paolobonja is offline
Junior Member

Thanks a lot for your answer I really appreciate you taking the time in answering. I will try that and hopefully it will work.

Cheers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter T. Daniels View Post
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See also http://shaunakelly.com/word/numberin...g20072010.html
(assuming that you are using Word 2007 or later).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news

Peter T. Daniels;495704 Wrote:
[...]

Hi Stefan, I also got two small questions: now that the headings and styles are working 1- how can I leave a space between my paragraph number and the beginning of the paragraph? 2- Another small problem I got is why when I update my table of contents sometimes instead of having the paragraph number and page number I get the details of the paragraph in the table of contents. It doesn't happen for all the paragraph numbers by the way....

Thanks for your help. W

Paolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In the Multilevel List dialog box, make use of the "Follow number with" box.
For example, if you want a single space character, just select "Space" for
"Follow number with."

Alternatively, you can pick "Tab character" and then select "Add tab stop
at" and specify the desired value. Some trial and error may be required to
find the most suitable value.

See the screen shot in the article I linked to.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"paolobonja" wrote in message
news

Hi Stefan, I also got two small questions: now that the headings and
styles are working 1- how can I leave a space between my paragraph
number and the beginning of the paragraph? 2- Another small problem I
got is why when I update my table of contents sometimes instead of
having the paragraph number and page number I get the details of the
paragraph in the table of contents. It doesn't happen for all the
paragraph numbers by the way....

Thanks for your help. W

Paolo

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;495708']See also
[...]

Thanks a lot Stefan,

what about when I update my table of contents instead of getting the heading and the page number, in some case I get also the detailed text of the paragraph in this case I start to delete manually.

I appreciate your help

[...]

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;495708']See also
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Try this first: Press Alt+F9 to display field codes. The TOC field will look
similar to { TOC \o "1-3" \u \h }. Delete the \u switch if it is present.
Update the TOC with F9 (if prompted, choose to update the whole table) and
then hide field codes again by pressing Alt+F9 a second time.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"paolobonja" wrote in message
news

Thanks a lot Stefan,

what about when I update my table of contents instead of getting the
heading and the page number, in some case I get also the detailed text
of the paragraph in this case I start to delete manually.

I appreciate your help

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;495711']In the Multilevel List dialog box, make use of the "Follow
[...]

;495708']See also