sunshine280 sunshine280 is offline
Junior Member

Default How to create short cut keys to Jump back to top of table of contents

I found that Alt+left arrow will take me back to the table of contents after using the link in table of contents to go to a section. I have a 145 page doc and want to be able to quickly get back to TOC to then link to another section

I would like to customize this to be keyboard shortcut Ctrl+b instead. I cannot find this command in the Word Options/customize keyboard. I did see a command GoToTableOfContents, but this takes me to the BOTTOM of the table of contents rather than the top. If this isn't possible, is there a way to customize a shortcut to go to a particular page? (Table of contents is on page 3)
sunshine280 sunshine280 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine280 View Post
I found that Alt+left arrow will take me back to the table of contents after using the link in table of contents to go to a section. I have a 145 page doc and want to be able to quickly get back to TOC to then link to another section

I would like to customize this to be keyboard shortcut Ctrl+b instead. I cannot find this command in the Word Options/customize keyboard. I did see a command GoToTableOfContents, but this takes me to the BOTTOM of the table of contents rather than the top. If this isn't possible, is there a way to customize a shortcut to go to a particular page? (Table of contents is on page 3)
Also I am using MS Word 2007
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When you run the GoToTableOfContents command, Word *selects* the TOC. That
means you may not necessarily see the beginning of a long TOC.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"sunshine280" wrote in message

I found that Alt+left arrow will take me back to the table of contents
after using the link in table of contents to go to a section. I have a
145 page doc and want to be able to quickly get back to TOC to then link
to another section

I would like to customize this to be keyboard shortcut Ctrl+b instead. I
cannot find this command in the Word Options/customize keyboard. I did
see a command GoToTableOfContents, but this takes me to the BOTTOM of
the table of contents rather than the top. If this isn't possible, is
there a way to customize a shortcut to go to a particular page? (Table
of contents is on page 3)

--
sunshine280

sunshine280 sunshine280 is offline
Junior Member

Yes that is what I am seeing because the table of contents is 2 pages, it send me to the bottom which is not desirable...

I see that ALT+left arrow will return me to where I was in the table of contents if that is where I just came from. Do you know the command for Alt+left arrow, so I could short cut that to ctrl+b ?

If this isn't possible, is there a way to customize a shortcut to go to a particular page? (Table of contents is on page 3)

Last edited by sunshine280 : February 27th 15 at 03:21 PM Reason: added additional question.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you go into "Insert Special Character" then "Symbol" and click "Shorcut Key" and type any shortcut into the box, it will tell you what it's already
assigned to. Alt-LeftArrow is assigned to "WebGoBack".

But Alt-LeftArrow takes no more doing than Ctrl-B, which is already the shortcut for Bold.

On Friday, February 27, 2015 at 9:31:01 AM UTC-5, sunshine280 wrote:
Yes that is what I am seeing because the table of contents is 2 pages,
it send me to the bottom which is not desirable...

I see that ALT+left arrow will return me to where I was in the table of
contents if that is where I just came from. Do you know the command for
Alt+left arrow, so I could short cut that to ctrl+b ?

--
sunshine280

sunshine280 sunshine280 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter T. Daniels View Post
If you go into "Insert Special Character" then "Symbol" and click "Shorcut Key" and type any shortcut into the box, it will tell you what it's already
assigned to. Alt-LeftArrow is assigned to "WebGoBack".

But Alt-LeftArrow takes no more doing than Ctrl-B, which is already the shortcut for Bold.

On Friday, February 27, 2015 at 9:31:01 AM UTC-5, sunshine280 wrote

sunshine280[/i][/color]
Thank you for your help. I agree it's the same amount of key strokes. The person I'm helping wants ctrl+b for this particular document.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can't assign a shortcut for a particular document. There may be a way to
put it in a specific template instead of normal.dotx, so that it will only
be available in documents created from that template, but then in those
documents they'll only be able to make something Bold by clicking an icon.
But if the document already exists, you can't change the template it's
attached to.

On Saturday, February 28, 2015 at 9:31:04 PM UTC-5, sunshine280 wrote:
Peter T. Daniels;495829 Wrote:
If you go into "Insert Special Character" then "Symbol" and click
"Shorcut Key" and type any shortcut into the box, it will tell you what
it's already
assigned to. Alt-LeftArrow is assigned to "WebGoBack".

But Alt-LeftArrow takes no more doing than Ctrl-B, which is already the
shortcut for Bold.

On Friday, February 27, 2015 at 9:31:01 AM UTC-5, sunshine280 wrote

sunshine280

Thank you for your help. I agree it's the same amount of key strokes.
The person I'm helping wants ctrl+b for this particular document.

--
sunshine280[/i][/color]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Actually, shortcuts *can* be stored in documents, not only templates. Look
at the "Save in" drop down in the Customize Keyboard dialog box and you'll
find that the current document is listed along with available templates.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

WebGoBack may be a better alternative, as you have found. However, note that
when the TOC is selected, you can go to the start of it by pressing Left
arrow on your keyboard.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

[---] if the document already exists, you can't change the template it's
attached to.

To change the template that is attached to the current document, you can
make use of the Templates and Add-Ins dialog box.

To display the dialog box in Word 2003 or earlier, click Tools | Templates
and Add-Ins. In Word 2010 or 2013, first display the Developer tab on the
ribbon (via File tab | Options | Customize Ribbon) and then click Document
Template on the Developer tab.

--
[...]

I want to make my table of contents 'hot' to jump to sections. Bob -[_2_] Page Layout 1 May 6th 08 07:23 PM
How do I create a link to return me back to the table of contents pickle77 Microsoft Word Help 2 February 22nd 08 11:10 PM
Templates + short-cut keys Jane Ugilt Microsoft Word Help 4 May 10th 07 10:55 AM
short keys SandraF Microsoft Word Help 1 February 11th 06 03:51 PM
how to jump from index to contents in document and back to index? cabo_cat New Users 1 December 21st 05 02:41 PM