Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] jeremy.reitman@gmail.com is offline

Default Word Cross References Not Updating

I have been having problems within several word documents for about the last month (since approx Dec 2014).

11. Heading

Table 11-1: Table 1
Table 11-2: Table 2
Table 11-3: Table 3

Refer to Table 11 4 for reference.
Table 11-4: Table 4

Refer to Table 11 5 for reference
Table 11-5: Table 5

If I add tables in or change headings, etc...My table numbers, references information is not updating.

This somehow seems to be tied to track changes (if I turn off track changes and accept all changes in the document, the functionality seems to work like it should).

I've been updating documents with track changes turned on this way for years and have never had this issue before.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It is a known limitation in Word that fields (such as captions and
cross-references) and auto numbers may not update correctly as long as you
are tracking changes in a document.

If you are using Word 2010 or 2013, see if clearing both of these options
make a difference:

- File tab | Options | Display: "Update fields before printing"

- File tab | Options | Advanced: "Allow fields containing tracked changes to
update before printing"

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
I have been having problems within several word documents for about the
last month (since approx Dec 2014).

11. Heading

Table 11-1: Table 1
Table 11-2: Table 2
Table 11-3: Table 3

Refer to Table 11 4 for reference.
Table 11-4: Table 4

Refer to Table 11 5 for reference
Table 11-5: Table 5

If I add tables in or change headings, etc...My table numbers, references
information is not updating.

This somehow seems to be tied to track changes (if I turn off track
changes and accept all changes in the document, the functionality seems to
work like it should).

I've been updating documents with track changes turned on this way for
years and have never had this issue before.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] jeremy.reitman@gmail.com is offline

The only thing that fixed it was to accept all changes and turn off track changes. Will have to do a compare and merge on this document at the end to compare to the original.

Have been working using this same template (dotm) for about 2 years and have never had a problem until this one document.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thanks for the follow-up.

--
Stefan Blom