global express global express is offline
Junior Member

Default Two (seemingly basic) questions about lists and spacing

Hi everyone,

I'm beginning to move toward Word and away from Apple's Pages application and have a few questions.

First, I would like a specific spacing type. I want 3 pt of space before and after each paragraph, unless there is a list. So, between the word questions and First above, I would want 3 pt.
– But here, on a list following a paragraph, I would like to avoid having a space.

Is this possible using one style?

Second, I am having difficulty distinguishing between list styles and list indents and paragraph/linked styles. I want a bulleted list with bullets at 8 pt indented at 0, 0.2, 0.4, etc. and text indented 0.15 after the bullet. I would like this to be automatically consistent throughout all my lists. Should I be creating a list style or paragraph style or what? I see that paragraph style is highlighted if I open the styles pane, I'm very confused.

Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

[see below]

On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 9:31:03 PM UTC-5, global express wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm beginning to move toward Word and away from Apple's Pages
application and have a few questions.

First, I would like a specific spacing type. I want 3 pt of space
before and after each paragraph, unless there is a list. So, between
the word questions and First above, I would want 3 pt.

I assume you know how to create a Paragraph Style. Simply create a style
with all the other parameters you want, then type 3 in the Space Below box.

Be sure to uncheck "Do not add space between paragraphs of the same style."

- But here, on a list following a paragraph, I would like to avoid
having a space.

Is this possible using one style?

If you want your list to be identical to the text paragraphs you created
above, then label a paragraph with that style, open the Paragraph pane,
and check "Do not add space between paragraphs of the same style." Then
open the Styles pane, choose New Style, and save it with a different name.

Second, I am having difficulty distinguishing between list styles and
list indents and paragraph/linked styles. I want a bulleted list with
bullets at 8 pt indented at 0, 0.2, 0.4, etc. and text indented 0.15
after the bullet. I would like this to be automatically consistent
throughout all my lists. Should I be creating a list style or paragraph
style or what? I see that paragraph style is highlighted if I open the
styles pane, I'm very confused.

To make a Multilevel List, put the cursor in the very first paragraph
that's going to be part of the list, click the appropriate icon on the Home
tab, and try to follow the directions. You need to click "More" in order to
be able to assign Paragraph Styles to list levels.