lawstudent4719

Default Automatically inserting the date is not working

even though the "Show AutoComplete suggestions" checkbox is checked, the date
is not inserting. if i type "janu" it does prompt me to hit enter for
"January" but then once i hit enter and then type a space it does not prompt
me for "January 4, 2005" (the current date). the suggestion is to make sure
the above named checkbox is checked, which it is. any other suggestions?
Greg Maxey

This feature is sporadic and often gets the month part OK but breaks
down with the day and year. A good option is to create a date stamp
that you can add quickly with a keyboard shortcut. The following macro
stored in your template can be assigned to a keyboard shortcut to
quickly insert the current date.

Sub DateStamp()
'
' Inserts current date

Selection.InsertDateTime DateTimeFormat:="MMMM" & Chr(160) & "d," &
Chr(160) & "yyyy", InsertAsField:=False
End Sub

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

lawstudent4719 wrote:
even though the "Show AutoComplete suggestions" checkbox is checked,
the date is not inserting. if i type "janu" it does prompt me to hit
enter for "January" but then once i hit enter and then type a space
it does not prompt me for "January 4, 2005" (the current date). the
suggestion is to make sure the above named checkbox is checked, which
it is. any other suggestions?

You get one or the other. If you complete the month manually and press the
spacebar, you'll be prompted for the entire date; if you accept the
AutoComplete suggestion for the month, you've blown your chances of getting
the full date. Yes, it's a bug. Greg's suggestion of a macro is one way
around the problem. Alternatively, if you can use a DATE or CREATEDATE
field, you can save that as an AutoText entry; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/DateFields.htm.

"lawstudent4719" wrote in message
even though the "Show AutoComplete suggestions" checkbox is checked, the

date
is not inserting. if i type "janu" it does prompt me to hit enter for
"January" but then once i hit enter and then type a space it does not

prompt
me for "January 4, 2005" (the current date). the suggestion is to make

sure
the above named checkbox is checked, which it is. any other suggestions?

Why does the original date change upon opening a document? K.Local773 Microsoft Word Help 7 December 16th 04 04:15 PM
Date K.Local773 Microsoft Word Help 1 December 15th 04 05:49 PM
updating date and time Dave888 Microsoft Word Help 1 December 10th 04 03:46 AM
Mail Merge - Date Format Kilinski Microsoft Word Help 0 December 7th 04 01:13 PM
How do I creat a diary date in Outlook from a date in a Word Oatsoeasy Microsoft Word Help 1 November 30th 04 11:24 AM