Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tomweb

Default paragraph indenting when updating template

When I update my document with a new template the formating for heading style
numbering becomes indented while it is not in the template itself. The
paragraph format seems to be reset for some reason.

Please relieve my frustration soon!

many thanks
tom
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?dG9td2Vi?=,

When I update my document with a new template the formating for heading style
numbering becomes indented while it is not in the template itself. The
paragraph format seems to be reset for some reason.

Number format indenting always overrides paragraph indenting. How and where is
the numbering defined?

Note: the automatic style updating does not work very well with the Word
numbering introduced in Word 97. You may get better results if you copy the
stlyes over using Tools/Templates and Addins/Organizer.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tomweb

I have Word 2003; from my reading I thought that using the organizer was
discourged over using the template update?

I tried to follow very closely all the advise from MVP folks on how to set
up style number. I did it all through heading 1 style, but I have made many
changes to it since I first did it and I notice that now the specifactions
are pretty long, could this be a problem?

One other thing I did that I am not sure about is I used headings 6-9 for
appendix headings setting them up in the same way as the others but now with
"Appendix" chapter name in the heading. But my indent problem was occuring
before that.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?dG9td2Vi?=,

When I update my document with a new template the formating for heading style
numbering becomes indented while it is not in the template itself. The
paragraph format seems to be reset for some reason.

Number format indenting always overrides paragraph indenting. How and where is
the numbering defined?

Note: the automatic style updating does not work very well with the Word
numbering introduced in Word 97. You may get better results if you copy the
stlyes over using Tools/Templates and Addins/Organizer.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?dG9td2Vi?=,

I have no idea what you've been reading, exactly, so I can't really answer to
that. Most folks I know say flat out that template update is unreliable when
numbering is involved.

Try using the Organizer and see if that doesn't give you a different result.