Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
catarrhine catarrhine is offline

Default Summary of changes on independent sheet

Is it possible for Word to give a separate sheet or file that just lists the
changes to a document by line? For instance, if I have a report written and
I make changes to it, can Word spit out a distinct file that says something
like this:

Paragraph 1, line 1: "and" changed to "the"

Paragraph 2, line 3: added "so, gorillas are vegetarian."

Paragraph 7, line 4: deleted "can you canoe?"

Something like that. I am required to submit a final draft as well as a
separate list identifying the lines that were modified, and what
modifications were done.

I am using office XP.

Thanks for help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 15:57:00 -0700, catarrhine
wrote:

Is it possible for Word to give a separate sheet or file that just lists the
changes to a document by line? For instance, if I have a report written and
I make changes to it, can Word spit out a distinct file that says something
like this:

Paragraph 1, line 1: "and" changed to "the"

Paragraph 2, line 3: added "so, gorillas are vegetarian."

Paragraph 7, line 4: deleted "can you canoe?"

Something like that. I am required to submit a final draft as well as a
separate list identifying the lines that were modified, and what
modifications were done.

I am using office XP.

Thanks for help!

IF you used the Track Changes feature to make the changes, and you haven't
accepted or rejected changes in the document, then you can use the first macro
in the post at
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...88cc26e005fa03
to extract the changes to a separate document. (If you want them to be in page
order instead of sorted by date, remove the two lines near the end of the macro
that begin with ".Sort excludeheader" and "sortfieldtype".)

If you didn't use Track Changes, you may still be able to use the macro if you
still have a copy of the original, unchanged document; use Tools Compare and
Merge Documents to make a document that shows the differences, and run the macro
on that.

If you have neither of those things, then you're stuck -- Word doesn't retain
any memory of what you changed.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
p0 p0 is offline

in the post athttp://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.word.docmanagement/ms...
to extract the changes to a separate document. (If you want them to be in page
order instead of sorted by date, remove the two lines near the end of the macro
that begin with ".Sort excludeheader" and "sortfieldtype".)

If you didn't use Track Changes, you may still be able to use the macro if you
still have a copy of the original, unchanged document; use Tools Compare and
Merge Documents to make a document that shows the differences, and run the macro
on that.

If you have neither of those things, then you're stuck -- Word doesn't retain
any memory of what you changed.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP * * * *FAQ:http://word.mvps.org

Hello,

This post is only me thinking aloud. I haven't tested or played around
with anything I describe here. I'm just picking in on this thread
because of remark Jay Freedman made:

"Word doesn't retain any memory of what you changed."

Is this really true? I am wondering about this. As far as I know, Word
'annotates' text runs (w:r elements) or paragraphs with rsId elements.
Those are actually revision ids which should change whenever you
reopen the document and make changes. Those rsIds are used by Word
when you try to merge two documents. You probably could exploit that
knowledge to know what has changed without having access to the
original document.

Of course there are serious limitations such as Word not keeping track
of what was deleted precisely (although deletions should be detected
through updated rdIds for the paragraph the text belongs to I
imagine).

Yves
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 23:32:22 -0700 (PDT), p0 wrote:

[...]

Hi Yves,

If you do get some results from this line of investigation, we'd all be _very_
interested to hear about it!

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman