Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shana Shana is offline

Default TOC field code problem

I have a formatting fields for a TOC that is being created from multiple
source documents. I've checked and rechecked and rechecked the filenames in
the field codes against the actual filenames, and they match exactly.
However, when I go to generate an updated TOC, I consistently receive an
error ("The document name or path is not valid.."). However, the file listed
appears correctly in the TOC. The "Error!..." message appears for a later
Section (document), and that filename is also correct.

I've tried removing lines of the field code and replacing them, and that
doesn't work. I'm at a loss for why this is happening.

Help!

thx
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Have a look at €śCreating a Table of Contents Spanning Multiple Documents€ť

I don't know that it will tell you anything you don't already know, but
perhaps it will provide some clues.

"Shana" wrote in message
I have a formatting fields for a TOC that is being created from multiple
source documents. I've checked and rechecked and rechecked the filenames

in
the field codes against the actual filenames, and they match exactly.
However, when I go to generate an updated TOC, I consistently receive an
error ("The document name or path is not valid.."). However, the file

listed
appears correctly in the TOC. The "Error!..." message appears for a later
Section (document), and that filename is also correct.

I've tried removing lines of the field code and replacing them, and that
doesn't work. I'm at a loss for why this is happening.

Help!

thx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shana Shana is offline

In case anyone is interested, this is what happened:

There is an Index in the overall document I am creating. I recently minorly
altered filenames (from "...1.doc" to "...01.doc"). I hadn't yet updated the
filenames in the Index, and that was causing the problem in the TOC.

I hadn't realized that the TOC functionality would do anything other than
look for headers.