Peyton Todd

Default Creating a New Heading

Hello. I'm trying to create headings for my document since I'm not happy with
the built-in headings. Heading No. 1 is okay, but Heading No. 2 is not
different enough from Heading 1. Heading 3 would work, but there are two
problems with that:

1. I would prefer that it not be indented so far from Heading 1 on the
document map, so how do I upgrade its level to be level 2?
2. Much more important: How do I get rid of the numbers which appear beside
it? I don't want 'em.

Also, I would like to have my own heading name so I still have the default
headings available. And I would like my new heading to be a choice available
in all my future documents without having to go through this drill again each
time.

Thanks for your help!

--
Peyton Todd
Jezebel

This is what creating templates and defining styles is all about. You can
modify styles any way you like to make them look any way you want. Don't
bother defining new names. Create a new template if you want to use a
different set of heading styles for some other purpose, otherwise your style
list gets cluttered. The default styles have no inherent meaning that's
worth retaining (and in any case, you can get them back if you really want
to, by restoring normal.dot).

"Peyton Todd" wrote in message
news
[...]

Peyton Todd

Thanks for your re-assurance, Jezebel, but I still don't know how to do it.
If I just modify the existing styles as you suggest, I still don't know how
to make the annoying numbers go away. I tried and tried earlier, and all I
could do was delete'em on each heading after the fact. What I want to do is
apply a heading and presto, no numbers. (I also need to know how to get them
back later if I change my mind.)

Also, isn't there a way (I believe someone showed me this earlier) to start
from an 'unofficial' heading which I just typed in with a certain font, etc.,
and specify (a) that it should officially recognized as a type of heading,
and be placed in the list of heading styles, and (b) what its outline level
should be? The thing is, I already have a lot of those 'unofficial' headings.
For this document, Word decided for itself that my unofficial headings were
official headings - at least it put them into the document map although I
didn't notice a new name in the list of styles (perhaps I just missed it).
Apparently Word put them all at level 1 since they appear on the same level
in the document map as level 1 headings that I copy in from another document.
But I can't seem to just select them and assign them to level 2.

Thanks,
Peyton

"Jezebel" wrote:

[...]

Jezebel

"Peyton Todd" wrote in message
Thanks for your re-assurance, Jezebel, but I still don't know how to do
it.
If I just modify the existing styles as you suggest, I still don't know
how
to make the annoying numbers go away. I tried and tried earlier, and all
could do was delete'em on each heading after the fact. What I want to do
is
apply a heading and presto, no numbers. (I also need to know how to get
them
back later if I change my mind.)

Bring up the style definition dialog. Select Bullets and Numbering and
select None. If you change your mind later go back and select something
other than none.

[...]

Bring up the style definiton dialog. Select Paragraph. Set the Outline
level. You can't change the level for a built-in heading, but you can for
any style you've created yourself. If your built-in styles already have a
non-zero outline level, chances are you created them by modifying an
existing style, in which case you will have inherited the level of the
original.

Word doesn't decide anything for itself. It just does what you tell it.
Sometimes rather murkily anbd obliquely, it is true. But there is no magic
involved. It's up to you to take charge.

Daiya Mitchell

In-line:

For this document, Word decided for itself that my unofficial headings
were
official headings - at least it put them into the document map although I
didn't notice a new name in the list of styles (perhaps I just missed it).

Word doesn't decide anything for itself. It just does what you tell it.
Sometimes rather murkily anbd obliquely, it is true. But there is no magic
involved. It's up to you to take charge.

Actually, Word does decide, when the Doc Map is invoked, that certain
paragraphs (usually one-liners) must be headings, and therefore they need an
outline level. The Doc Map needs outline levels to function, otherwise it
wouldn't work. But it is not a good idea to rely on this, or to let it
happen.

Ways to control it:

Don't use the Document Map, use Outline View instead:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Format...singOLView.htm

On switching into the Doc Map, look to see if a new AutoFormat has been
added to the Undo list. That's the application of outline levels. Undo it.
Remember to check for this every time, though it may not happen every time
(this workaround has only been tested on a Mac, and not thoroughly).

After the fact fixes:

Use the ResetPara command on the affected paragraphs to remove all direct
paragraph formatting and reset the para to only style-based formatting (the
doc map adds outline levels as direct formatting). ResetPara will not
affect direct character formatting (bold, etc) and the usual keyboard
shortcut is control-q (cmd-opt-q on a Mac).

Run this handy macro once posted by MVP Klaus Linke that resets the outline
level of every paragraph to the outline level that is set in the style.

Dim myPara As Paragraph
For Each myPara In ActiveDocument.Paragraphs
myPara.OutlineLevel = _
myPara.style.ParagraphFormat.OutlineLevel
Next myPara

If necessary, see:
What do I do with macros sent to me by other newsgroup readers to help me
out?
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/CreateAMacro.htm
(Mac: http://word.mvps.org/MacWordNew/InstallMacroMac.htm)

Hope that helps,