Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Scoobs Scoobs is offline

Default Mail Merge in Word 2000-Hiding static data

Hello

I have created a Word Mail Merge document that has been formatted using
tables, the tables have been formatted to show lines. Within the tables
there are a couple of columns that have static data for each row.

My problem is when I perform the merge all of my formatted table including
the lines and static text are printed, (as you would expect to happen) I want
the rows of data not to be printed if there is no resulting data.

I have tried an If, Then, Else €“ but to no avail.

Can anyone help me please.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Just how have you tried an If...then...Else?

Without a bit more information, it is not possible to really help you.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Scoobs" wrote in message
Hello

I have created a Word Mail Merge document that has been formatted using
tables, the tables have been formatted to show lines. Within the tables
there are a couple of columns that have static data for each row.

My problem is when I perform the merge all of my formatted table including
the lines and static text are printed, (as you would expect to happen) I
want
the rows of data not to be printed if there is no resulting data.

I have tried an If, Then, Else - but to no avail.

Can anyone help me please.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Scoobs Scoobs is offline

Hi Doug

Sorry if I did not give enough information - I will attempt to elaborate:

I am using Mail Merge to produce new documents for each Test script that has
been created. The majority of the document is made up of tables which have
been formatted with lines.

The first column is made up of sequential numbering for each row and the
last column has static text. Thereafter each row has information entered
from the source data to enter the script text.

The issue I have is that each table has been created to hold 10 rows, but
not each test script holds 10 rows of data, therefore when the merge has been
done - and the test script only has, lets say, 4 steps, the remainder of the
formatted table and text still remain, but are mainly empty.

I have tried to use an 'If' on the sequential numbering column, whereby if
one of the data cells is empty - the sequential cell should be blank. This
has not worked (but more than likely I have done it incorrectly).

In addition, when the merge has been completed, the formatting of the
original document is lost, I have amended the macro to use the same template,
but this makes no difference.

Hopefully the above gives you a little more information, it is difficult not
to be able to add a screen shot to show you, but any advice you could give me
would be much appreciated.

Regards SUe

"Scoobs" wrote in message
Hello

I have created a Word Mail Merge document that has been formatted using
tables, the tables have been formatted to show lines. Within the tables
there are a couple of columns that have static data for each row.

My problem is when I perform the merge all of my formatted table including
the lines and static text are printed, (as you would expect to happen) I
want
the rows of data not to be printed if there is no resulting data.

I have tried an If, Then, Else - but to no avail.

Can anyone help me please.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Sounds like you are probably trying to perform a "multiple items per
condition (=key field)" mailmerge which Word does not really have the
ability to do:

See the "Group Multiple items for a single condition" item on fellow MVP
Cindy Meister's website at

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...faq1.htm#DBPic

Or take a look at the following Knowledge Base Article

http://cornell.veplan.net/article.aspx?&a=3815