Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SDesmond SDesmond is offline

Default Outline numbering in lower level headings

I wanted to use Outline numbering starting in heading levels lower than
Heading 1. I want Heading 1, Heading 2, and Heading 3 styles to be without
numbering. Then I want the outline numbering to start with Heading 5. For
example:

Heading 1
Heading 2
Heading 3
Heading 4
1. Heading 5
1.1 Heading 6
1.1.1. Heading 7
2. Heading 5
2.1 Heading 6
2.1.1. Heading 7

I was able to do this in older version of Word. But every time I modify the
heading style, going into Format Numbering Outline Numbered and apply the
appropriate levels (i.e. level 2 to Heading 6) the Heading 6 reference
remains at level 6, even when I delete it and it resets to level 6 every
time, no matter how I configure it or clear the formatting.

It seems that there is an automatic reference or link that presets the
heading styles to outline levels. Does anyone know how to truly override
this? Like I said, I used to do this all the time in older versions of Word.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Have you tried using the principles at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html to create
numbered "appendixes," leaving the main headings un-numbered?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"SDesmond" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SDesmond SDesmond is offline

That's what I'm trying to do, but the problem is that whenever I set the
Heading 1 style to a "no style" state in the Outline Numbering dialog, the
change does not save. I'll set it to no outline, click OK and it will just
stay with the number. When I re-enter the dialog it has been bumped from "no
style" to "Heading 1". This seems to be a bug to me since it is not saving my
changes.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Have you tried using the principles at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html to create
numbered "appendixes," leaving the main headings un-numbered?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"SDesmond" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SDesmond SDesmond is offline

But can I link level 1 to Heading 5 and NOT Heading 1? I don't want numbers
on Heading 1-4, but I do need outline-style numbers on Heading 5-7. I did
this in Word 2000.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Have you tried using the principles at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html to

create
numbered "appendixes," leaving the main headings un-numbered?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"SDesmond" wrote in message
news I wanted to use Outline numbering starting in heading levels lower than
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You link Heading 1 to Level 1, Heading 2 to Level 2, and so on, but you omit
numbering from Headings 1-4, then start the numbering with Level 5/Heading
5.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

No, you need to link Level 1 with Heading 1, just set the *number style"

"(none)."

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"SDesmond" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The idea is that all heading styles should be attached to the same numbering
scheme (list template), but only Headings 5-9 should have a number format
defined.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

No, you need to link Level 1 with Heading 1, just set the *number style"
"(none)."

so
all may benefit.