Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Scott Steiner

Default Setting text field width as wide as page

Hi,

I inserted a text field. This text field should always be as wide as the
page it is placed on i.e. ranging from the left margin to the right
margin. How can I accomplish this? Until now I only see a possibility to
explicitly set the width of the text field. And incidently, how can I
find the exact width of the page anyway inorder to set that value as the
width of my text field?

System: Word 2000, Windows XP Home

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Insert the text formfield in the cell of a one column table whose width is
the page width.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Scott Steiner" wrote in message
. ..
Hi,

I inserted a text field. This text field should always be as wide as the
page it is placed on i.e. ranging from the left margin to the right
margin. How can I accomplish this? Until now I only see a possibility to
explicitly set the width of the text field. And incidently, how can I find
the exact width of the page anyway inorder to set that value as the width
of my text field?

System: Word 2000, Windows XP Home

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Scott Steiner

Doug Robbins - Word MVP schrieb:
Insert the text formfield in the cell of a one column table whose width is
the page width.

But now how do I make the textfield span 100% over the width of the one
column table?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

I know you are saying that you want it to span the width of the page, but
what are you really wanting to do?

The text field will take up whatever room is required by the data that is
entered into it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Scott Steiner" wrote in message
. ..
Doug Robbins - Word MVP schrieb:
Insert the text formfield in the cell of a one column table whose width
is the page width.

But now how do I make the textfield span 100% over the width of the one
column table?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Scott Steiner

Doug Robbins - Word MVP schrieb:
I know you are saying that you want it to span the width of the page, but
what are you really wanting to do?

I want to have a decorated heading that automatically adapts to and
spans the width of the page. Basically it should look like a narrow bar
that has the heading text written in it and that has a certain
background colour.

But I think I got it now! I just dropped the text field completely and
simply used a 1x1 table like you proposed and entered the heading in the
cell of the table.

It seems that tables automatically span the width of the page, right? At
least it looks like it, I tried to alter the page margins and the table
altered its size accordingly.

The text field will take up whatever room is required by the data that is
entered into it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom

A table cell won't be necessary if all you need is a border and some
background color; you can apply this to the paragraph itself via
FormatBorders and Shading.

There are times when a table is useful for positioning text, though:
For example, if you want the first body text below the heading to
start at a fixed vertical distance (regardless of the number of text
lines occupied by the heading), you can put the heading in a table
cell whose height is fixed.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Scott Steiner

Stefan Blom schrieb:
A table cell won't be necessary if all you need is a border and some
background color; you can apply this to the paragraph itself via
FormatBorders and Shading.

[...]

Excellent tip, thanks! I guess that is the fastest and most flexible
solution, exactly what I was looking for! :-)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom

Glad I could help.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Stefan Blom schrieb:
A table cell won't be necessary if all you need is a border and
some
background color; you can apply this to the paragraph itself via
FormatBorders and Shading.

[...]

Excellent tip, thanks! I guess that is the fastest and most flexible
solution, exactly what I was looking for! :-)

Suppressing Merge Field and text before/after julie Microsoft Word Help 8 November 14th 05 02:50 PM
Text Width, Whole Page, Many Pages all grayed out...? Kenneth Microsoft Word Help 2 November 2nd 05 03:21 PM
Forms text field minimum width LWert Microsoft Word Help 1 December 28th 04 09:02 PM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 02:49 PM
Text Form Field Ref in Footer Won't Update on Screen StarWine Microsoft Word Help 3 December 6th 04 06:17 PM