Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
cwc424

Default Creating separate files using a compound merge

I've created a word merge document that uses the database fields as
described on this web page
(http://www.knowhow.com/Guides/Compou...poundMerge.htm). It
creates exactly the document I need - but now I'd like to use the
add-in (http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm) to create
separate files as pdfs. When I run the merge without the database
fields, I have no problem with the add-in - but when the database
fields are added I get the following error:

Run-time error '5941'
The requested member of the collection does not exist.

I would really like to not have to separate this document by hand - and
have appreciated the work that these two individuals have put in to
develop these tools. Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Cary Connor

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

The problem here is that with a compound merge (containing a database field)
there two merge operations going on at the same time and as it presently
stands, the add-in has not been designed to handle that and I haven't yet
been able to comeup with a work around for it.

In the meantime, here's a method that I have used that involves creating a
separate
catalog type mailmerge maindocument which creates a word document containing
a table in each row of which would be your data from the database that you
want to use as the filename.

You first execute that mailmerge, then save that file and close it. Then
execute the mailmerge that you want to create the separate files from and
with the
result of that on the screen, run a macro containing the following code
and when the File open dialog appears, select the file containing the table
created by the first mailmerge

' Throw Away Macro created by Doug Robbins
'
Dim Source As Document, oblist As Document, DocName As Range, DocumentName
As String
Dim i As Long, doctext As Range, target As Document
Set Source = ActiveDocument
With Dialogs(wdDialogFileOpen)
.Show
End With
Set oblist = ActiveDocument
Counter = 1
For i = 1 To oblist.Tables(1).Rows.Count
Set DocName = oblist.Tables(1).Cell(i, 1).Range
DocName.End = DocName.End - 1

'Change the path in the following command to suit where you want to save
the documents.
DocumentName = "I:\WorkArea\Documentum\" & DocName.Text
Set doctext = Source.Sections(i).Range
doctext.End = doctext.End - 1
Set target = Documents.Add
target.Range.FormattedText = doctext
target.SaveAs FileName:=DocumentName
target.Close
Next i

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"cwc424" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've created a word merge document that uses the database fields as
described on this web page
(http://www.knowhow.com/Guides/Compou...poundMerge.htm). It
creates exactly the document I need - but now I'd like to use the
add-in (http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm) to create
separate files as pdfs. When I run the merge without the database
fields, I have no problem with the add-in - but when the database
fields are added I get the following error:

Run-time error '5941'
The requested member of the collection does not exist.

I would really like to not have to separate this document by hand - and
have appreciated the work that these two individuals have put in to
develop these tools. Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Cary Connor

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
cwc424

Hey Doug,

Thanks so much for your help - I will try this out. It looks like it
will solve my problem !

Cary

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
cwc424

That was just the ticket - again many thanks for your help, Doug!