Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kris Jay Kris Jay is offline

Default Restart numbering automatically

I have a document with test steps that is over 600 pages. It has to be
exported out of DOORs and into Word 2003 for the customer once all the
testing is done. I need a way for the step numbers (style: stepnum) to
restart numbering after each heading.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kris Jay Kris Jay is offline

I believe I need to clarify more. In the test documentation (and there are
many test documents) the standard heading numbers are used. Beneath those
there are step numbers for the test steps themselves. The documents are
imported into DOORS for testing and further changes with the paragraph styles
intact but imbedded. When the testing is finished the test documents are
then exported back out into WORD 2003 for the customer. However the test
steps start at number 1 and end at 32,768 (or whatever it changes to) at the
bottom regardless of the fact that there are some 50 separate tests in the
test document.

I can manually right click to restart the numbering under each heading for
600 pages of tests, but I would like to find a way for this to be
accomplished automatically. I tried making a macro, but it is just on my
computer and I may not be the person that exports the DOORS tests. In fact
it is more likely to be a testing engineer that exports the document. So I
would like to find a way to imbed the renumbering automatically in the
template.

Thank you for your help.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.
Higher-level headings need not be numbered to be able to restart numbering.

"Kris Jay" Kris wrote in message
I have a document with test steps that is over 600 pages. It has to be
exported out of DOORs and into Word 2003 for the customer once all the
testing is done. I need a way for the step numbers (style: stepnum) to
restart numbering after each heading.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you look at the article I referenced? You need to create an
outline-numbered list, with your headings (unnumbered) as Level 1 and your
numbered lists as Level 2, set to restart after Level 1. If you experience
problems with the list numbering after importing back, Ctrl+A, Ctrl+Q should
set it right.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.
Higher-level headings need not be numbered to be able to restart

numbering.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Kris Jay" Kris wrote in message
I have a document with test steps that is over 600 pages. It has to

be
exported out of DOORs and into Word 2003 for the customer once all the
testing is done. I need a way for the step numbers (style: stepnum)

restart numbering after each heading.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kris Jay Kris Jay is offline

Sorry it took so long for me to answer. We are having some storms here.

Yes I looked at the article you referenced. However DOORS imports headings
as full headings no matter how much I modify them. I can make the headings
look good in Word but only the final copy will be in Word. All the testing
is with the document and test steps in DOORS.

We are using a costumized paragraph style call Stepnum for the actual test
steps. The paragraph style is imbedded in the information when the document
is imported to DOORS so that, at the end of testing, when the document is
exported again to a Word template the style is still there.

On the original Word document the step numbers restart after each heading,
by manually restarting them, but this information is not imported into DOORS
with the paragraph style.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kris Jay Kris Jay is offline

I thank you for the time you have taken responding to me, but I believe that
I'm not accurately communicating the problem. I'm not sure that I can
accurately communicate the problem without showing it.

The headings style in all documentation are specified by company policy.
Headings 1-X are a standard Word font and that is the headings that must be
used. Most of the documentation I've seen uses at least to heading 5. A few
actually use all the way to 8 or 9. If I make the step numbers an outline
number listing below the headings it both changes the way the heading looks
and numbers the step numbers in a style that is not a paragraph style and
thus the information does not import into DOORS. When exported back out into
Word since there is no paragraph style information imbedded it simply
defaults to normal font and has no numbers although the headings revert to
their original heading style.

DOORS recognizes paragraph styles as object text and imbeds the style
information (you don't see the style in DOORS) and uses a default font as
object text. DOORS also recognizes a heading style and imports that as a
heading and not as object text. The test steps need to be in object text to
correctly display in the testing GUI.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You would not have to manually restart your step numbering if you would make
it part of an outline-numbered list with the heading as Level 1.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There is no requirement that outline-numbered paragraphs be heading styles.
You can have a mixture of headings and body text. The only requirement is
that you link a given list level (you can have up to 9) with a specific
paragraph style. You can restart numbering at any point. If you make your
step numbering the lowest level, lists of steps will restart numbering after
*any* higher-level style in the outline.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You would not have to manually restart your step numbering if you would

make
it part of an outline-numbered list with the heading as Level 1.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kris Jay Kris Jay is offline

List levels and list numbers information does not import into DOORS and thus
the information is not there when it comes time to export to Word and
defaults back to the original style. Only the paragraph style itself imports
into DOORS. All paragraph styles are the same inside DOORS except for
headings styles. They all look the same and the numbers are not there except
headings styles(which import as a heading and not object text). Object ID
numbers are how the step numbers are identified in DOORS.

For now the engineers have been informed that if they need customer hard
copy documents they will have to tell one of the writers and give them enough
time to renumber the documents manually.

We are still experimenting with macros and possibly 3 seperate paragraph
styles for the main body text (test steps in this case). My attempts to
import and export any outline styles, or list styles only come back as the
paragraph style and no numbers at all.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You would not have to manually restart your step numbering if you would

make
it part of an outline-numbered list with the heading as Level 1.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If the paragraph style includes the numbering, and that numbering has been
applied as part of an outline-numbered list, linked to the associated
styles, then when you get the document back from DOORS, provided the correct
styles are still applied to the paragraphs, then a Ctrl+A, Ctrl+Q should
suffice to restore the correct numbering.

Please understand that I am not referring to a "list style." What you want
for these paragraphs are paragraph styles that have been linked to an
outline numbering scheme (you can name the list template); that numbering
then becomes part of the paragraph style. I refer you again to
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html for
instructions on linking your paragraph styles to the numbering levels.

"Kris Jay" wrote in message
List levels and list numbers information does not import into DOORS and

thus