Bob S

Default Modifying a macro in a global template

I was advised to create a global template besides my normal.dot and to do my
alterations in that template and keep normal.dot clean in case I had
problems in the future. So that is what I did (putting it of course in my
startup directory).

Here is my problem. I have a macro in that new global template (which I
will call New-Global.dot) which I am trying to modify. In order to modify
it, I am clicking File | New | Templates "On my computer" | New-Global.dot
| OK . Then I am clicking Tools | Macros | Macros (or Alt-F8) to bring up
the macros dialog. Then I am slecting the macro I want to modify, clicking
edit and then editing it and saving it.

Then I exit completely out of Word and reenter it to try out the new macro.
If at this point, I do the same thing I described in the previous paragraph,
I will find that the macro does show that it was modified.

However, if I simply open a normal document (Ctrl-N) and click Alt-F8 to
bring up the macro dialog, select my macro and click Run, in that case the
changes I made in my macro do not show up.

Could somebody tell me what it is about macros, or global templates that I
do not understand that is causing this? Thank you for the help.

Bob

Charles Kenyon

To modify a global template, open that template (File Open). For more on
global template creation, see http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

--

"Bob S" wrote in message
[...]

TF

Also, use Alt+F11 to edit the macros in the template.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...
: To modify a global template, open that template (File Open). For more on
: global template creation, see
http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm.
: --
: Charles Kenyon
:
: Word New User FAQ & Web Directory: http://addbalance.com/word
:
: Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version of
: Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide) http://addbalance.com/usersguide
:
: See also the MVP FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/word which is awesome!
: --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
: This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
: and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
: from my ignorance and your wisdom.
:
: --
: Charles Kenyon
:
: Word New User FAQ & Web Directory: http://addbalance.com/word
:
: Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version of
: Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide) http://addbalance.com/usersguide
:
: See also the MVP FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/word which is awesome!
: --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
: This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
: and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
: from my ignorance and your wisdom.
:
: "Bob S" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Bob S

Thank you Charles and Terry for your help. The advice both of you gave was
helpful. Could you help me a bit more?

The macro that I have been modifying was to use during the process of
mail-merging a table using addresses from an Outlook contacts folder. To do
the mail-merge, I begin in the contacts folder of OL (2003). I click Tools
| Mail-merge | Browse | Double-click the Existing Document file to use |
Select Catalog as the Document Type | OK which takes me to Word with a form
file on the screen. At that point I click "Merge to a New Document" or
Alt-Shift-N and click OK which takes me to the new document with a large
table in it. It is at that point I have been activating my macro to
reformat that table a bit.

My Question is: Can either of you tell me how I can insert the two
keystrokes I mentioned above (I click "Merge to a New Document" or
Alt-Shift-N and click OK) into the first of the existing macro? Since it is
just 2 keystrokes, it seems that it should be simple; but I do not know how
to do it. Unfortunately, recording the two keystrokes into a macro and
copying those lines of code into the beginning of the other macro did NOT
work.

Could you help me? Thanks very much.
Bob

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...

"Bob S" wrote in message
[...]

TF

Bob

Recorded Macros often don't work as desired when repeated. What I suggest is
that you take a look at the 2 sites below. The first will give you some tips
on extracting Outlook Contact addresses into Word. The second is written by
the Queen of Mail Merge and should be a mine of information for you.

--
http://www.gmayor.com/changing_envelope_layout.htm
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...r/MergFram.htm

--

[...]