Custom toolbars in Word 2000 - not saving to document or template?

Old December 10th 04, 02:55 PM
RS Lanigan

Default Custom toolbars in Word 2000 - not saving to document or template?

I want to have my customized toolbar available to all documents. However,
saving them to the template is not possible because I use a company-wide
template that is on our network (and thus, I cannot alter it). Copying the
template to my individual PC is not recommended by our SIS group because they
have problems with people using obsolete versions of the template. We must
be attached to the networked version. I also don't want to have to recreate
my toolbar every time I create a document.

Is there a way to save the toolbar so I can use it all the time without
saving it to a specific document or template? I couldn't find anything that
would allow me to do this, and I can't believe I'm the only one who would
find that useful.
Old December 10th 04, 03:10 PM
Graham Mayor

The normal.dot is a user file and certainly should not be shared. It is
meant to contain user configurations. What it contains is no-one's business
but your own. Company standards can (and should) be maintained using
document templates. Whether you can convince the IT nazis of this is another
issue - maybe when someone crashes normal.dot and brings the whole company
to a halt?

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Old December 10th 04, 05:31 PM
Charles Kenyon

You need your own global template in your Word startup folder. See
http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm for step-by-step instructions
on moving / sharing / copying / backing-up customizations including
AutoText, AutoCorrect, keyboard assignments, toolbars, macros, etc.

--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.