Ulfried Terlitza

Default desperately searching for special backup solution

Hello!

I'm looking for a secure solution for the following problem: On a
computer running on Windows 2000 any file opened (and treated) by Word
2000 should be backed up repeatedly (e.g. every 10 minutes) and
permanently (in their actual state).

By those means Word 2000 offers to its users this seems to be
impossible: Existing backup copies are automatically overwritten when
the related document is opened again (when you save a document in a
"wrong" state by mistake and then open it again the backup copy will
also be in the "wrong" state); AutoRecover-Info is deleted when you save
or - by mistake - don't save the document.

My aim is in fact to find an - I'm sorry - idiot-save way to backup
documents, especially giving security against erroneously not saving
documents and overwriting daocuments by mistake.

All concerned files (all documents, all Word-Backup copies and all
AutoRecover-Info) should be backed up repeatedly in short intervalls and
automatically into a special folder; after an initial backup of course
only files which have changed are required to be backed up.

Up to that this may sound quite simple (and can be reached by most
backup- or synchronisation-software, perhaps even by the means of a
batch-file), but there are two special requirements which are to be met:

1. the backup should be "historized": files that have changed should not
be overwritten, but the older file-backups should remain existent side
by side with the newer ones (you should also be able to see which files
are older and which newer, e.g. by the means of an ascending number or a
datestamp in the filenames; in fact it should be possible to see the
"history" of any document and to recover former versions).

2. the backup has to include open files (which seems to be quite
difficult), as otherweise AutoRecover-Info can not be backed up at all.

Until now I have only found one single programm which seems to be able
to fulfill my needs: it is called Langmeier Backup [1].

Are there any other programms - maybe freeware - or even other ways
(batch-files? scripts?) to solve my problem?

Thanks in advance,
U.

[1] http://www.langmeier-software.com/

TudorDoc TudorDoc is offline
Junior Member

I back up my whole PC once a day using Acronis True Image. If you do not have an external drive (which I would recommend) you could back up a selected directory onto the hard drive. I do a full back-up once a week with incremental once a day. I therefore have documents as there were for the past seven days to choose from before starting again

Acronis is not free but the reassurance of complete backup everyday is best

TudorDoc