PhilJones

Default How do I create separate files for each document a mail merge cre.

I am trying to create separate files for each document that is created during
a mail merge. We have a list of 20 names and we need to create 20 letters
and we need them each to be
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Here's one way - execute the merge to a new document and then with that
document active, run the following macro:

Sub splitter()

' splitter Macro

' Macro created by Doug Robbins to save each letter created by a mailmerge
as a separate file.

Dim Letters As Integer, Counter As Integer, Source as Document, Target as
Document, Letter as Range
Set Source = ActiveDocument
Letters = Source.Sections.Count
For i = 1 to Letters
Set Letter = Source.Sections(i).Range
Letter.End=Letter.End-1
Set Target = Documents.Add
Target.Range=Letter
Target.SaveAs FileName:=€¯Letter€¯ & i, FileFormat:= _
wdFormatDocument, LockComments:=False, Password:="",
AddToRecentFiles:= _
True, WritePassword:="", ReadOnlyRecommended:=False,
EmbedTrueTypeFonts:= _
False, SaveNativePictureFormat:=False, SaveFormsData:=False, _
SaveAsAOCELetter:=False
Target.Close
Next i

End Sub

If you want to save each document with a filename that comes from one of the
fields in the data source,
here's a method that I have used that involves creating a separate
catalog type mailmerge maindocument which creates a word document containing
a table in each row of which would be your data from the database that you
want to use as the filename.

You first execute that mailmerge, then save that file and close it. Then
execute the mailmerge that you want to create the separate files from and
with the
result of that on the screen, run a macro containing the following code
and when the File open dialog appears, select the file containing the table
created by the first mailmerge

' Throw Away Macro created by Doug Robbins
'
Dim Source As Document, oblist As Document, DocName As Range, DocumentName
As String
Dim i As Long, doctext As Range, target As Document
Set Source = ActiveDocument
With Dialogs(wdDialogFileOpen)
.Show
End With
Set oblist = ActiveDocument
Counter = 1
For i = 1 To oblist.Tables(1).Rows.Count
Set DocName = oblist.Tables(1).Cell(i, 1).Range
DocName.End = DocName.End - 1

'Change the path in the following command to suit where you want to save
the documents.
DocumentName = "I:\WorkArea\Documentum\" & DocName.Text
Set doctext = Source.Sections(i).Range
doctext.End = doctext.End - 1
Set target = Documents.Add
target.Range.FormattedText = doctext
target.SaveAs FileName:=DocumentName
target.Close
Next i

--
Please post any further questions or followup to the newsgroups for the
benefit of others who may be interested. Unsolicited questions forwarded

Hope this helps
Doug Robbins - Word MVP