Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Patrik Spieß Patrik Spieß is offline

Default How do I make the "before spacing" ignored on first line of page?

The text on top of a page should always be aligned, i.e. appear on the very
top of the main text box. However, if you have two pages where the first line
is from a paragraph with different settings in "default spacing" (e.g. an H1
paragraph on top of page 1 and an H2 on page 2), the first line of the pages
will not be vertically aligned.

This is unacceptable from a typographical point of view.

Is there a way of suppressing the "before spacing" setting for paragraphs
for such paragraphs that start on the first line of a page so that the first
lines are vertically aligned? If not, we should write a feature request to
Microsoft, shouln't we?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Yes. You will find several Suppress Spaces options under Compatibility
Options. If you cannot find them, let us know which version of Word you are
using. Thanks.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Patrik Spieß" Patrik wrote in message
The text on top of a page should always be aligned, i.e. appear on the
very
top of the main text box. However, if you have two pages where the first
line
is from a paragraph with different settings in "default spacing" (e.g. an
H1
paragraph on top of page 1 and an H2 on page 2), the first line of the
pages
will not be vertically aligned.

This is unacceptable from a typographical point of view.

Is there a way of suppressing the "before spacing" setting for paragraphs
for such paragraphs that start on the first line of a page so that the
first
lines are vertically aligned? If not, we should write a feature request to
Microsoft, shouln't we?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Patrik Spieß[_2_] Patrik Spieß[_2_] is offline

Default How do I make the "before spacing" ignored on first line of pa

Hello Terry,

Thanks for pointing me to the options. The options that did what I wanted
was "Suppress Space Before after a hard page or column break".

I find it a bit odd that these options are hidden behind "Advanced
Compatibility Layout". Shouldn't that setting be the default?

Best regards,
Patrik

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"Spacing before" will be suppressed but not for the first paragraph of a
Word section. You can work around this by specifying "Page break before" for
Heading 1 and set its "Spacing before" to zero.

Note that in order to suppress "Spacing before" on paragraphs following a
manual page break, select the "Suppress Space Before after a hard page or
column break" compatibility option.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Patrik Spieß" Patrik wrote in message
The text on top of a page should always be aligned, i.e. appear on the
very
top of the main text box. However, if you have two pages where the first
line
is from a paragraph with different settings in "default spacing" (e.g. an
H1
paragraph on top of page 1 and an H2 on page 2), the first line of the
pages
will not be vertically aligned.

This is unacceptable from a typographical point of view.

Is there a way of suppressing the "before spacing" setting for paragraphs
for such paragraphs that start on the first line of a page so that the
first
lines are vertically aligned? If not, we should write a feature request to
Microsoft, shouln't we?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Partrik

It does seem strange that the setting isn't default. But then so should the
'Do full justification like WordPerfect 6.x for windows'. But these options
have been like this for so many version of Word that it would probably
confuse more people than it would help!

Terry