Anders Eriksson

Default How to add a style for filenames and paths?

Hello!

I'm a Software Developer and one of my tasks is to write the documentation
of the program. This means that I use filenames a lot and this will always
make the spelling and grammar check in Word indicate an error.

Is there someway I can create a style that will let Word know that this is
a substantive (despite the fact that it contains a period.)

I'm no expert on English so I rely on Word to tell me spelling and grammar
errors.

// Anders
Stefan Blom

You can create a character style and format it with "Do not check
spelling or grammar"; in the New Style or Modify Style dialog box,
click Format, and then click Language, where you'll find the option.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Anders Eriksson" wrote in
message ...
Hello!

I'm a Software Developer and one of my tasks is to write the

documentation
of the program. This means that I use filenames a lot and this will

always
make the spelling and grammar check in Word indicate an error.

Is there someway I can create a style that will let Word know that

this is
a substantive (despite the fact that it contains a period.)

I'm no expert on English so I rely on Word to tell me spelling and

grammar
errors.

// Anders

Anders Eriksson

Helloo Stefan,

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:08:30 +0200, Stefan Blom wrote:

You can create a character style and format it with "Do not check
spelling or grammar"; in the New Style or Modify Style dialog box,
click Format, and then click Language, where you'll find the option.

This seems to kind of work. It's probably me doing something wrong...
The spell check will not return an error but Word still complains that
filename.ext hasn't a space after the period.

How do I include this new style into all old documents?
I have added it to Normal.dot, and it is there for new documents but not
for the old ones...

// Anders
--
I'm using Word 2000
Stefan Blom

I can confirm your experience with grammar check (I just tested it).
Actually, when you think about it makes sense. The purpose of the
created character style is to suppress spell check and grammar check
for a few *words*. For spell check this works fine, but grammar check
isn't limited to single words. The grammar checker has to look at an
entire sentence, or clause.

What you can do is to turn off grammar for the entire document: On the
Tools menu, click Options. Click the Spelling & Grammar tab. Check the
option to "Hide grammatical errors in this document" and then click
OK. Repeat this procedure for all documents where it is needed.

You may decide that it's easier to turn off spell check, too, for
these documents (it's on the same tab of the Options dialog box).

Adding a style to existing documents requires manual work, I'm afraid.
You can use the Organizer to copy styles between documents and
templates.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Anders Eriksson" wrote in
message ...
Helloo Stefan,

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:08:30 +0200, Stefan Blom wrote:

You can create a character style and format it with "Do not check
spelling or grammar"; in the New Style or Modify Style dialog box,
click Format, and then click Language, where you'll find the

option.

This seems to kind of work. It's probably me doing something

wrong...
The spell check will not return an error but Word still complains

that
filename.ext hasn't a space after the period.

How do I include this new style into all old documents?
I have added it to Normal.dot, and it is there for new documents but

not
for the old ones...

// Anders
--
I'm using Word 2000

TF

Anders

By default, the Hyperlink Styles in Word are set to skip spelling and
grammar. If you insert your filenames as hyperlinks (even if they don't
exist), Word will stop underlining them. If you don't want them in the
typical blue hyperlink style, simply edit the hyperlink style.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

: