Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mpmav1 Mpmav1 is offline

Default Table of Contents, HELP!

Thank you so much in advance. Using Word 2007.

I want to make an auto generating Table of Contents (TOC). BUT, when I go
to each section heading, and I want to assign the text a "level" (aka, "add
text"), I don't want Word to change the formating of the text I am selecting
a level for. I have tons of sections I want to add, and I don't want to
change the formating on my whole document.

Any ideas? Or do I just have to make a manual table?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mpmav1 Mpmav1 is offline

Thank you SO MUCH for your help... just one more question. What do I do if I
don't have a particular style set for each level? Rather, as is, my document
is all just set to "normal." Thus, I don't want the style to change at all
when I assign levels to the TOC?

"Mpmav1" wrote in message
Thank you so much in advance. Using Word 2007.

I want to make an auto generating Table of Contents (TOC). BUT, when I go
to each section heading, and I want to assign the text a "level" (aka,
"add
text"), I don't want Word to change the formating of the text I am
selecting
a level for. I have tons of sections I want to add, and I don't want to
change the formating on my whole document.

Any ideas? Or do I just have to make a manual table?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'd never touched that button before. I see what it does, but for your
circumstance, I have to advise you not to touch it again.

In addition to Susanne's comment:

If each heading has unique formatting but is not assigned to a style, create
or update heading styles with outline levels to match your formatting, then
convert all instances of that formatting to the style. See the MS Word Team's
blog "How to Make the Formatting in Your Document Consistent" (
http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_offi...e/2008/11.aspx) for help
with this.

Then you can choose one of the TOC gallery items or go through the W2003-
like dialog to create your table of contents.

Note that, if you are working in the W2007 file format and use a gallery item,
Word will put the TOC in a content control; and if the document is converted
to a W97 to 2003 file, content control will be converted to static text. To
avoid this, work in compatibility mode or use the dialog to create the TOC.

HTH,
PamC