SJH

Default Font Types - 2003

Hi, not sure if this is by design or whether it is a 'bug' in 2003? If you
open a Word document which contains text in a certain font (which you have
installed in windows ie not a standard font) and try typing new text, the new
text appears in the default font of Times New Roman instead of the existing
font? You can then subsequently highlight the text and change it to the
original font but this used to work without having to do this in older
versions of Office? I have upgraded to SP1 but this still happens.

Hope this makes sense... any ideas/comments?
Cheers
Sue
Word Heretic

G'day SJH ,

Usually a reboot is required to get windows to recog the font.
Otherwise, as Word cant find it, it approximates it using the closest
font if it knows about the font in use. The default, as you
discovered, is TNR.

Steve Hudson - Word Heretic

Without prejudice

SJH reckoned:

Hi, not sure if this is by design or whether it is a 'bug' in 2003? If you
open a Word document which contains text in a certain font (which you have
installed in windows ie not a standard font) and try typing new text, the new
text appears in the default font of Times New Roman instead of the existing
font? You can then subsequently highlight the text and change it to the
original font but this used to work without having to do this in older
versions of Office? I have upgraded to SP1 but this still happens.

Hope this makes sense... any ideas/comments?
Cheers
Sue

SJH

Windows does recognise the font - you can change it to the custom font after
you have typed the text in Times New Roman. This isn't necessary in older
versions of word though, it uses the custom font immediately on any
additional inserted text. Also, Excel 2003 works ok, if you choose the custom
font and start typing it does not alter to Times New Roman??? Does Word treat
fonts differently somehow?

"Word Heretic" wrote:

[...]

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?U0pI?=,

If you
open a Word document which contains text in a certain font (which you have
installed in windows ie not a standard font) and try typing new text, the new
text appears in the default font of Times New Roman instead of the existing
font? You can then subsequently highlight the text and change it to the
original font but this used to work without having to do this in older
versions of Office? I have upgraded to SP1 but this still happens.

What font (and other formatting) Word decides to use depends a lot on where the
insertion point is located in the document, and how the non-default font
formatting has been applied to the text. If you start typing at the end of a
paragraph or at the end of the document or in a text box, for example, Word is
more likely to use the default font.

You might try going to Format/Style, look for "Normal" in the list, right-click
it, choose "Modify" and change the font in the dialog box to the one you want to
use.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

SJH

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately this didn't help, I changed
normal to the custom font but word still reverts to Times New Roman when you
start typing. The insertion point is in the middle of a paragraph of text
which is in the custom font.

With any other office font word behaves as expected and continues in that
font. The same document in word 2000 also uses the custom font and does not
revert to Times New Roman. It seems to only be Word 2003 with the problem?

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?U0pI?=,

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately this didn't help, I changed
normal to the custom font but word still reverts to Times New Roman when you
start typing. The insertion point is in the middle of a paragraph of text
which is in the custom font.

With any other office font word behaves as expected and continues in that
font. The same document in word 2000 also uses the custom font and does not
revert to Times New Roman. It seems to only be Word 2003 with the problem?

Well, this isn't a Word 2003 problem, at least, I've never encountered it
before. There must be a problem with your installation. You're seeing this in
all documents, and not just in certain ones?

If you open a document that already contains the font, then go to
Tools/Options/Compatibility options are you able to open Font Substitution? And
if you can, has Word substituted Times New Roman for this special font?

If that's the case, then something is wrong with the font (Word doesn't
consider it to be installed). You might try removing it under Windows, then
installing it again, in that case.

Another thing to try - in case the problem is in Word - would be to hold down
CTRL when starting Word, to go into Safe Mode. See if the problem is still
occurring when you're in Safe Mode.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

SJH

Could not open font substitution, msg "No font substitution is necessary. All
fonts used in this document are available." Problem still occurs in safe mode
too.

This happens on any document, including if you create a new document select
the custom font and start typing - it reverts to Times New Roman. You can
select the text and change it to the custom font but it is a pain as there
are a few different custom fonts in some documents. We use terminal services
so everyone in the office suffers with this since the upgrade to 2003. I have
also tried it on a laptop running Office 2003 and experienced the same
problem. Unfortunately I do not have any other custom fonts to test out to
rule out it being the font at fault. I doubt it is though since the same font
works ok on an Office 2000 installation.

Sue

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?U0pI?=,

[...]

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?U0pI?=,

Problem still occurs in safe mode
too.

Well, then it isn't a macro firing...

This happens on any document, including if you create a new document select
the custom font and start typing - it reverts to Times New Roman. You can
select the text and change it to the custom font but it is a pain as there
are a few different custom fonts in some documents. We use terminal services
so everyone in the office suffers with this since the upgrade to 2003. I have
also tried it on a laptop running Office 2003 and experienced the same
problem. Unfortunately I do not have any other custom fonts to test out to
rule out it being the font at fault. I doubt it is though since the same font
works ok on an Office 2000 installation.

At this point, I'm stumped. And I can't imagine WHAT could be causing it. You
might try asking in the word.printingfonts newsgroup. You might encounter
someone there - who doesn't have the time to sift through the daily 500 messages
that hit this group - who may recognize the problem. Be sure to tell them what
you've already tried. And name a font or two where you're seeing this, plus the
source of the font.

Ah. One other thing does occur to me, although I'm not certain whether it's
relevant. You call them "custom fonts". Does that mean someone (not a
professional company) designed them? So perhaps there's a setting IN the font
design that's causing Word to think "this isn't a font for writing lots of text,
so I'm going to help the user"? An example of the kind of problem I have in mind
is when fonts are ignored by spell check and also don't respect word wrapping
rules at the end of lines. In this case, a "bit" has been set that marks the
font as a "symbol" rather than "text" font. Maybe it's something like that?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

SJH

Thanks for your input Cindy, I will try as you suggest and post it to the
word.printingfonts newsgroup. It isn't essential since we can work round it
but it is just a pain and v. odd with it working in word 2000 ok. The fonts
in question come from Nissan and I do not know their origin other than that.
We will also ask Nissan if they have experienced the same problem although I
suspect they many not be using 2003 yet. Anyway, thanks again for your
efforts.
Regards
Sue

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?U0pI?=,

[...]

Default font on envelope address Marcia Microsoft Word Help 1 January 5th 05 11:13 PM
WHY IS THE TEXT CURSOR TINIER THAN MY FONT IN WORD 2003? MS@SMS Microsoft Word Help 1 January 5th 05 04:15 AM
Default Font Lloyd Microsoft Word Help 3 December 21st 04 03:42 PM
I cannot get font size 6 in Word 2003? JohnCR Microsoft Word Help 1 December 9th 04 11:12 AM
Acrobat writer 5.0 Compatibility with word 2003 Norman Marshall Microsoft Word Help 1 November 25th 04 11:12 AM