Bob

Default Word 2003 document property fields in headers

When fields (document properties) are inserted in a header or footer, Word
2000 automatically updates them when the document is opened. Word 2003 does
not!

Is there any way to get Word 2003 to update these (short of viewing headers
and then manually choosing update field)?
Jay Freedman

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:53:02 -0800, Bob
wrote:

When fields (document properties) are inserted in a header or footer, Word
2000 automatically updates them when the document is opened. Word 2003 does
not!

Is there any way to get Word 2003 to update these (short of viewing headers
and then manually choosing update field)?

Hi Bob,

The article at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330079 doesn't
specifically mention DocProperty fields as affected by the security
updates, but the behavior sounds the same. Maybe the workaround there
will help.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Bob

Hi Jay! Thanks for the quick response. I read the article and it sounded
promising, but adding the FieldCalcSecurityLevel registry key (set to level
0) didn't change the behavior of Word 2003 at all.

Perhaps there is a newer way to do what I've been doing in older versions of
Word. I have some templates with several headers and footers set by using
field codes and document properties such as Title. When a new document is
created from one of these templates, simply setting the document property
automatically sets all the headers and footers (and title page) for the
document. It worked great for a long time--until I upgraded to Word 2003.

I wonder if there is a better way to do the same thing now???

Thanks again!

wrote:

When fields (document properties) are inserted in a header or footer, Word
2000 automatically updates them when the document is opened. Word 2003 does
not!

Is there any way to get Word 2003 to update these (short of viewing headers
and then manually choosing update field)?

Hi Bob,

The article at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330079 doesn't
specifically mention DocProperty fields as affected by the security
updates, but the behavior sounds the same. Maybe the workaround there
will help.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jay Freedman

Hi Bob,

There isn't really any better way to get the information into the
headers and footers than to use the DocProperty fields.

See if this works: First make sure the "Update fields" option is
checked in Tools Options Print. Then go to Print Preview and back
to Print Layout view.

If that works, and you don't mind writing a tiny macro and assigning
it to a toolbar button, then this will do it:

Sub UpdateFields()
ActiveDocument.PrintPreview
ActiveDocument.ClosePrintPreview
End Sub

See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm and
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...oToToolbar.htm
for help with those things if needed.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

wrote:

When fields (document properties) are inserted in a header or footer, Word
2000 automatically updates them when the document is opened. Word 2003 does
not!

Is there any way to get Word 2003 to update these (short of viewing headers
and then manually choosing update field)?

Hi Bob,

The article at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330079 doesn't
specifically mention DocProperty fields as affected by the security
updates, but the behavior sounds the same. Maybe the workaround there
will help.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Bob

Thanks Jay! You know, for some reason it never occurred to me that print
preview would trigger an update the same as printing. It's such a simple
solution that I completely overlooked it.

You solved my problem. Thanks for your help!
Bob