Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Sudders[_7_] Sudders[_7_] is offline

Default Cross refencing in master documents

Hi All,

I'm writing a very long document, and have used different files for
different chapter. However, there are numerous occaitons when I need to
cross reference figures/tables/headings from other chapters.

Can anyone think of a way in which I can do this short of loading the
master document, expanding all the subheadings and adding the reference,
which sort of defeats the whole point of the master document in the
first place.

Cheers,

Ian
---

--
Sudders
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Henk57[_98_] Henk57[_98_] is offline

Ian:
Working with a master and subdocuments in Word is not recommended.
From your question it isn't clear to me whether you want are going to
assemble all subdocuments into one at the end, or keep them as separate
files.
Assuming the latter, you can refer to a subdocument with a hyperlink,
including a bookmark so when clicking it arrives at the specified
position within the destination document. For ensuring that the
reference numbers of tables/fig's etc remain correct while progressing,
you might try copying the reference from the subdocument (e.g. the
figure caption number) and use Edit/Paste special and select "Paste
link". Choose As: "HTML", but also try other options, as you might get
undesirable formatting. Now if you update the subdocument and the
table/fig numbers update, this will also be reflected in your master
document.
HTH -- Henk