Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lee[_2_] Lee[_2_] is offline

Default Is anybody else disgusted about the piece of junk called Microsoft

The Office 2007 software suite is a productivity stopper. First it only
provides a French dictionary for OE7. Then while in Word 2007, both the
English grammar and spell checkers are very poor. It tags simple english
words as incorrect and misspellings of simple three letter words as correct.
The grammar checker is simply a joke. The spell checker is an even worse
joke on Microsoft's loyal customers. Fire the fools that signed-off on this
conglomeration of bad programs.
Speaking from 30 plus years experience developing government command and
control software, I would have been fired for fielding this bundle of useless
zeros and ones. Although I have been a loyal Microsoft customer since its
beginning, I am very angry about this.
--
Lee0078
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules[_2_] JoAnn Paules[_2_] is offline

Outlook Express is not part of any version of Office and never has been. You
should really do your research before you post a rant otherwise you seem
like someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lee[_2_] Lee[_2_] is offline

Default To JoAnn Paules

Miss or Mrs. JoAnn Paules, you are poorly informed. I never said that OE was
a part of the Office software. What I should have made clear was that the
previous Microsoft Office suites all provided the Spell Check function for
every version of Outlook Express. Check out your info before you sound off
in such an arrogant fashion. I just naturally assumed that the readers of my
post were past the novice stage. Check out my profile. Oh, and have a nice
day.
--
Lee0078
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules[_2_] JoAnn Paules[_2_] is offline

Your comment was "The Office 2007 software suite is a productivity stopper.
First it only
provides a French dictionary for OE7. "

Perhaps you need to proof what you write before you hit the Send button? Not
arrogance, just a helpful suggestion before you go sending rants to a public
forum that is rarely ever visited by anyone who works for Microsoft.

--

"Lee" wrote in message
Miss or Mrs. JoAnn Paules, you are poorly informed. I never said that OE
was
a part of the Office software. What I should have made clear was that the
previous Microsoft Office suites all provided the Spell Check function for
every version of Outlook Express. Check out your info before you sound
off
in such an arrogant fashion. I just naturally assumed that the readers of
my
post were past the novice stage. Check out my profile. Oh, and have a
nice
day.
--
Lee0078

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles W Davis Charles W Davis is offline

Lee,

Spell checker. Perhaps you have forgotten that on the previous versions as
you worked, you added words to the custom dictionary. You can do that again,
but at your advanced age, it will be much more difficult.

Finally, these newsgroups are seldom viewed by Microsoft employees.
Therefore, rants have no effect on the product developers. It is a
peer-to-peer group of volunteers that attempt to help other users.

Please post a question, and someone will attempt to answer it.

"Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lee[_2_] Lee[_2_] is offline

Default Is anybody else disgusted about the piece of junk called Micro

Okay, so you are another person seeking to start an argument. First, if I
could spell everything correctly, I wouldn't need a spell checker, or if I
never made a typo. So stating that I can always add words to the dictionary
is not helpful at all. And speaking oif being helpful, my post was in fact
an attempt to help others avoid the pitfall of updating to the "not ready for
prime time" Office 2007 suite. If they are running Office 2003, and it is
correctly checking the grammar and spelling for them, why in the world would
they want to ruin that by installing Office 2007? So vent your bitterness on
someone else because , as you intimated, I don't have time left to argue with
some green behind the ears, technically uninformed person of either sex.
Check my profile youngster.
--
Lee0078

"Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lee[_2_] Lee[_2_] is offline

You just don't know when to quit, do you? My comments have been factually
and technically correct 100% of the time. Whereas, your responses have been
technically uninformed, immature and hateful. Go peddle your venom on
somebody who cares what you think, if there is anyone out there who really
gives two cents worth and wants to listen to an amatuer with absolutely no
credentials. You are just another person looking for an emotional outlet in
a technical world. Grow up.
--
Lee0078

"Lee" wrote in message
Miss or Mrs. JoAnn Paules, you are poorly informed. I never said that OE
was
a part of the Office software. What I should have made clear was that the
previous Microsoft Office suites all provided the Spell Check function for
every version of Outlook Express. Check out your info before you sound
off
in such an arrogant fashion. I just naturally assumed that the readers of
my
post were past the novice stage. Check out my profile. Oh, and have a
nice
day.
--
Lee0078

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You are certainly not the first and will not be the last to express
dissatisfaction with Office 2007. All of us, to some extent or other, are
feeling your pain. But perhaps you don't realize that no one here had
anything to do with the design or execution of the application: that is, no
one from Microsoft reads this newsgroup. Therefore, while venting your
frustration is understandable, it doesn't really move you forward. The forum
is designed to answer specific questions; I will therefore try to answer
your two implied questions.

1. It is true that Office no longer makes its spelling checker available to
Outlook Express. This is for design reasons that I don't understand but do
accept, and there are ways to work around it; find them at
http://www.slipstick.com/addins/spell.asp and
http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2006/20061228.htm.

2. I'm not sure what problems you're experiencing with the spelling checker,
but perhaps you will find some help at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/M...pellCheck.htm; while not written
specifically for Word 2007, it is widely applicable. I've never had much use
for the grammar checker and will accept your judgment that it is "a joke."
However, if you haven't tried using Word's contextual spell checking
(available only if system resources are up to it, I believe), I think you'll
find that is a worthwhile addition to the product. For more on that feature,
see
http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_offi...-checking.aspx

"Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lee[_2_] Lee[_2_] is offline

Finally a reply that attempts to be helpful, instead of some childish and
argumentative hogwash. Thank you.
You are wrong about 'It is true that Office no longer makes its spelling
checker available to Outlook Express." It does, in fact, attempt to do that
but without success. In short, poor programming and software released before
it was stable or ready.
As for the rest, thank you for the links. And, by the way, I am not
saying that the entire office package is bad, just the relatively simple
functions like grammar and spell checking. These are very important
functions which have been relied upon for years. Why and how could they
release the Office Package without fixing these simple things that are so
helpful to all who use the programs?
As you mentioned, Microsoft probably never looks at these forums, but they
certainly should. I have been in direct contact with their senior techs for
about two months now, and they admit that these things are wrong but that
Microsoft hasn't finished "fixing" them yet. In the meantime, for those who
are considering upgrading to Office 2007 (and count on the functions
mentioned) I would recommend that they wait until they have been fixed.
Have a nice day and thanks again for your response.
--
Lee0078

"Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi, Lee,

I'm mostly using Vista, so I've no clue about OE's spelling. Vista uses
Windows Mail instead of OE, and handles spelling just fine (and I've kept
Word 2003 and its proofing tools on my Windows XP machines, so I haven't
noticed anything missing).

But, using Word 2007's spelling checker, I'm not seeing what you're seeing.
It's not tagging correctly spelled words incorrectly and ignoring
misspellings. Spelling, for what it's worth, is working fine here -- and we
have Office 2007 installed on four different computers -- two running Vista,
and two running Windows XP. On three of these, I use English, Spanish, and
French proofing tools, and all are working correctly.

As for the grammar checker being a joke... I agree completely, but it's
nothing new. I've never seen any version of Word's (or any other program's)
grammar checker that's even worth turning on. I suspect that artificial
intelligence is still a decade or more away from being able to be helpful in
the grammar department. The new "contextual spelling" checker is about the
only useful new spelling/grammar feature, since it does seem to flag *some*
words that are used incorrectly. Even the contextual checker, however,
misses a lot more than it catches.

I've never been what could be described as a "loyal Microsoft customer." I'm
a critical consumer. I get annoyed and frustrated, just like anyone else,
but I like to dig until I find a solution to any given problem, or until I
hit a brick wall. I suspect that most other MVPs are very much the same.

Office 2007 has its good points, and its bad points. But, at this point for
me, it has enough good points that I've chosen to stick with it.

Good points for me include: instant search in Outlook, more robust file
formats (harder to break and accidentally corrupt), live preview formatting,
better chart/graphics creation tools, the ability to blog (with automatic
picture handling) directly from Word, much better equation editor, better
ability to set Word-wide formatting defaults, bibliography feature in Word,
use of themes and style sets, and the addition of trusted locations (which
makes working with macros a LOT less frustrating).

Bad points include: lack of customizability in the UI, less accessible style
tools in Word, still-broken numbering and master document features, horribly
confusing handling/finding/setting of options, and too many features that
are buried too far down in the UI, requiring many more steps to access than
in Office 2003. Much of this I can solve with the QAT and custom keyboard
assignments, easing the frustration a bit for me personally.

Under Vista, the file dialogs are now all integrated into the OS, making it
ridiculously easy to add frequently-accessed folders to the Favorite Links
area (Vista's replacement for the Places feature). This, along with other
new features in Vista, adds immeasurably to my own productivity and how I
work, making a Vista/Office 2007 combination a net productivity booster for
me.

But, as in all things computing-wise, YMMV. If I were still using Windows XP
(it's what I use on my laptop when traveling), I suspect I wouldn't be quite
so sanguine about Office 2007 (except for Outlook 2007, which IMO is vastly
improved over 2003).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lee[_2_] Lee[_2_] is offline

Thanks for your very polite and helpful input, Herb. I have not deployed
Vista yet because of the unavailability of drivers for so many things. The
Upgrade Analyser is another joke. It leads one to believe that his or her
system is all ready for Vista, then in the area of drivers and compatibility
of other software, it makes some vague references to checking with the
vendors. I find that very misleading, to say the least. I understand that
Bill Gates has been pleading with the third party vendors to upgrade their
drivers and non-compatible programs. That is a good start but I have been
waiting until the Vista OS is really supported by most third party vendors
before putting my systems into a tizzy. I also run three systems here at
home and I build new systems for clients. My experiences with XP, when it
was brand new, have made me more than a little reluctant to step out of the
pot into the kettle with Vista, although I would enjoy some of the new
features.. LOL Have a nice day.
--
Lee0078

"Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That's correct. And, at the time, I'm not sure I would have used the word
"upgrade"... more like "install and use" ;-)

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
IIRC, Herb said that when he was taking screen shots for his Word 2007
Bible, MS Press insisted that they be made in Vista, so he had little
choice
but to upgrade.

so
all may benefit.

"Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Do you now consider it an "upgrade"?

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
That's correct. And, at the time, I'm not sure I would have used the word
"upgrade"... more like "install and use" ;-)

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
IIRC, Herb said that when he was taking screen shots for his Word 2007
Bible, MS Press insisted that they be made in Vista, so he had little
choice
but to upgrade.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lee[_2_] Lee[_2_] is offline

For my own curiosity I just hit Alt Print Screen, then went to Word 2007 and
right clicked in document 1. The screen shot came right in. And I am
running XP Pro.
--
Lee0078

"Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In some ways, yes. In others, no. I really like the ease of working with
Windows Explorer in Vista, and its integration into the Office 2007 file
dialogs. I've also grown to like the look of the Aero Glass display.
Networking is also much less hassle than I've had in any other version of
Windows. In fact, it was no hassle at all. It simply worked without my
having to jump through hoops. I like the way Windows Update works in
Vista--fewer problems than in XP (for me, anyway).

On the other hand, the IntelliPoint and IntelliType drivers for mouse &
keyboard are AWFUL, particularly the mouse driver. Zooming does not work
correctly, and I basically scrapped my Laser Mouse 6000 because so much
about it didn't work. I've replaced the IntelliPoint driver with something
called X-Mouse. It's not great, but at least it works.

MSFeedsSync.exe crashes 5 to 10 times a day. No clue why. I keep googling
for a solution but nothing I've seen/tried has fixed it yet.

I've tried several times to upgrade my C: partition from Premium to
Ultimate. But, it fails without saying why.

Other hardware, such as my DVico HDTV device is only partially supported,
and freezes/crashes at odd times.

And UAC is a real pain in the posterior. It constantly asks permission for
this and that. I don't feel more secure, just more annoyed.

Also, frequently, Vista sits here and denies me access to various folders --
for no good reason I can fathom. Some, I can whittle away at and eventually
gain access. Others, however, steadfastly remain beyond reach (even when I
gave up and turned UAC off).

So... yes and no. :-)

--

"Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The point wasn't that screen shots didn't work (I use SnagIt, which is a
great tool for managing screen shots). They worked fine in XP. The point was
that the publisher wanted the screen shots to be done in Vista -- so it
would look Vista-ish. Where applicable in the book, I cover how to do things
in both Vista and XP. However, Wiley wanted their Office 2007 books to have
a Vista look and feel. Hence, I needed to install Vista and had to redo all
of the screen shots once both Office 2007 RTM and Vista RTM were done.

--

"Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Sounds like a pretty long list of cons. But more incentive for me to just
upgrade this machine to XP rather than get a new one with Vista installed
(though I'll still do that down the road a piece).

"Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] clark.hwang2@gmail.com is offline

The unavailability of drivers shouldn't last too long. Drivers for
Vista are being updated all the time. I have installed 6 different
versions of Windows Vista and even one version of the 64-bit flavor
(my personal home machine). Not a single driver issue yet. I do
everything from work applications to playing the newest games. This
is all on pre-assembled and a couple custom machines I built. In most
cases, Vista installed the proper drivers on its own! The driver
issues don't seem to be too bad, but most people tell me otherwise.

And Bill Gates is not the only one pushing vendors to make drivers for
Vista, it's the consumers that are really pushing for Vista drivers.

Now, if I could just get 64-bit versions of all the software I like...

On Jun 4, 9:55 pm, Lee wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
chasw chasw is offline

I think Lee is absolutely right to be annoyed. I have just pain nearly £100
(over $200) for the Home and Student version of office 2007 and its
installation resulted in my OE spell checker now being French. You only need
to look at the number of complaints about this on this site to know that
there has been a "cock-up". Microsoft should make sure that their various
products are compatible or at least warn of problems before people such as I
commit serious expenditure (I am a pensioner). Given that Microsoft are not
interested, can anyone recommend another spell checker which will work with
OE and not cause even more problems when installed?
--
Chairlie