Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
James99 James99 is offline

Default Changing Mrs. to Mrs in Word 2003

Hello I have a 100,00 word document that needs editing. I would like to
change Mrs. Mr. to Mrs, Mr etc. (ie without a fullstop). Is it possible in
Word 2003 for it to reformat a document to this. I've tried to format
autocorrect but that seems to work on new documents only. I would appreciate
any help. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you know that none of the abbreviations comes at the end of a
sentence (which seems likely), you can simply do Find/Replace of each
abbreviaton. (The "etc." in your description is troubling, though.)

Or, you could switch your SpellCheck language to English (UK) and see
if it catches them.

On Jun 8, 12:42*pm, James99 wrote:
Hello I have a 100,00 word document that needs editing. I would like to
change Mrs. Mr. *to Mrs, Mr etc. (ie without a fullstop). Is it possible in
Word 2003 for it to reformat a document to this. I've tried to format
autocorrect but that seems to work on new documents only. I would appreciate
any help. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter A Peter A is offline

In article , James99
@discussions.microsoft.com says...
Hello I have a 100,00 word document that needs editing. I would like to
change Mrs. Mr. to Mrs, Mr etc. (ie without a fullstop). Is it possible in
Word 2003 for it to reformat a document to this. I've tried to format
autocorrect but that seems to work on new documents only. I would appreciate
any help. Thanks

Use search and replace.

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

There is no reason why English UK spell check should catch this as the lack
of a full stop is wrong in British English. These are abbreviations and
their omission is simply sloppy practice. However.a wildcard search for
([MD]{1}[rs]{1,2}).
replace with
\1
will remove the stop from Mr. Mrs. and Dr. It will also catch Ms. which is
not an abbreviation, but which is usually given a stop for consistency.
Other salutations eg Messrs. require an extra search

grammatim wrote:
If you know that none of the abbreviations comes at the end of a
sentence (which seems likely), you can simply do Find/Replace of each
abbreviaton. (The "etc." in your description is troubling, though.)

Or, you could switch your SpellCheck language to English (UK) and see
if it catches them.

On Jun 8, 12:42 pm, James99 wrote:
Hello I have a 100,00 word document that needs editing. I would like
to change Mrs. Mr. to Mrs, Mr etc. (ie without a fullstop). Is it
possible in Word 2003 for it to reformat a document to this. I've
tried to format autocorrect but that seems to work on new documents
only. I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, the rule for punctuating abbreviations in British style is that if
the abbreviation includes the last letter of the abbreviated word,
there is no period. This holds for M(iste)r, Mist)r(es)s, and
D(octo)r.

On Jun 9, 12:57*am, "Graham Mayor" wrote:
There is no reason why English UK spell check should catch this as the lack
of a full stop is wrong in British English. These are abbreviations and
their omission is simply sloppy practice. However.a wildcard search for
([MD]{1}[rs]{1,2}).
replace with
\1
will remove the stop from Mr. Mrs. and Dr. It will also catch Ms. which is
not an abbreviation, but which is usually given a stop for consistency.
Other salutations eg Messrs. require an extra search

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

grammatim wrote:
If you know that none of the abbreviations comes at the end of a
sentence (which seems likely), you can simply do Find/Replace of each
abbreviaton. (The "etc." in your description is troubling, though.)

Or, you could switch your SpellCheck language to English (UK) and see
if it catches them.

On Jun 8, 12:42 pm, James99 wrote:
Hello I have a 100,00 word document that needs editing. I would like
to change Mrs. Mr. to Mrs, Mr etc. (ie without a fullstop). Is it
possible in Word 2003 for it to reformat a document to this. I've
tried to format autocorrect but that seems to work on new documents
only. I would appreciate any help. Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Can you point to a reputable British reference that indicates this as a
fact - rather than American ones - as this was certainly not what I was
taught in my English education - in England!

wrote:
Hello I have a 100,00 word document that needs editing. I would
like to change Mrs. Mr. to Mrs, Mr etc. (ie without a fullstop).
Is it possible in Word 2003 for it to reformat a document to this.
I've tried to format autocorrect but that seems to work on new
documents only. I would appreciate any help. Thanks- Hide quoted
text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

For a number of years, the standard of English language education in the UK
has been pitiful. We have graduates - even teachers - who cannot spell and
who have the scantest appreciation of grammar. It was not always like that.
Those who set the 'standards' would say that English is an evolving
language.

wrote:
Hello I have a 100,00 word document that needs editing. I would
like to change Mrs. Mr. to Mrs, Mr etc. (ie without a fullstop).
Is it possible in Word 2003 for it to reformat a document to
this. I've tried to format autocorrect but that seems to work on
new documents only. I would appreciate any help. Thanks- Hide
quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Several English friends have confirmed that punctuation is not taught
in British (elementary) schools as it is in US schools.

Poor spelling in the younger end of the baby boom generation can to
some extent be attributed to the "ita" "initial teaching alphabet"
experiment done in the 1960s: it's a scheme of somewhat phonetic
spelling that resembles traditional orthography (t.o.), and was shown
to have some advantage in teaching children to read somewhat faster
than teaching them in t.o., with no ill effects in transitioning to
ordinary reading matter in t.o. However, either they did not test, or
they did not report unfavorable results, for t.o. spelling ability. I
suspect the reason was a remnant of class division: lower-class
schoolboys were not expected to ever need to write anything (except
possibly greengroc'ers signs), so spelling ability was not considered
important.

As for "appreciation of grammar," that's quite a different field from
being able to put together a coherent sentence (or even being a good
writer). In 12th grade we had a semester of Cultural Anthropology,
which included one class where the teacher showed us a phonemic
analysis of a language. It may have been that one hour that pointed me
eventually in the direction of linguistics.

Now forty years later, there's no reason to suppose that linguistics
is yet mentioned in high school -- although now, unlike then, books
are available for the general public on what linguistics is and what
linguists do.

PS The fact that English (like every language) is "evolving" (i.e.,
constantly changing) has nothing to do with teaching the standard
language. There is a register known as "formal written English" that
is what schools need to be concerned with. What they should _not_ be
concerned with is trying to make kids _speak_ Formal Written English.

wrote:
Hello I have a 100,00 word document that needs editing. I would
like to change Mrs. Mr. to Mrs, Mr etc. (ie without a fullstop).
Is it possible in Word 2003 for it to reformat a document to
this. I've tried to format autocorrect but that seems to work on
new documents only. I would appreciate any help. Thanks- Hide
quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

I have used government and industry standards for abbreviations for years.
The rule is no periods unless the abbreviation could be misinterpreted as a
word. Spell check hates me for that.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

wrote:
Hello I have a 100,00 word document that needs editing. I would
like to change Mrs. Mr. to Mrs, Mr etc. (ie without a fullstop).
Is it possible in Word 2003 for it to reformat a document to this.
I've tried to format autocorrect but that seems to work on new
documents only. I would appreciate any help. Thanks- Hide quoted
text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I agree - and particularly with your postscript. Unfortunately it isn't
happening. It seems that the use of correct English is considered elitist,
and in a 'multi-racial society' probably has racist overtones!

wrote:
Hello I have a 100,00 word document that needs editing. I would
like to change Mrs. Mr. to Mrs, Mr etc. (ie without a
fullstop). Is it possible in Word 2003 for it to reformat a
document to this. I've tried to format autocorrect but that
seems to work on new documents only. I would appreciate any
help. Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What do you mean by "use"? To use forma written English in almost any
conversational situation is in fact elitist and expression of one's
own supposed class superiority.