Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bjoshua bjoshua is offline

Default pasting text changes document

I pasted text from another source into a document, and then pasted another
piece of text from still another source below it. There was a huge gap
between the two, so I tried to delete some lines. Not happening. Then I
tried to add some notes below, and suddenly my margins were different. My
last version of Word never presented these problems. Was much simpler to
use. Any suggestions? I watched a tutorial, was too fast and didn't cover
1% of all the crud that MS has included in this version. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AZ AZ is offline

never heard of that before. but, when pasting text from multiple sources, i
do this (not the best solution, but one that you can do w/o much tech
knowledge)

Copy the text from your source (CTRL+C)
Open Notepad
Paste into notepad (CTRL+V)
Select what you just pasted, in notepad (CTRL+A)
Copy from notepad (CTRL+C)
Paste into Word (CTRL+V)

Notepad strips all formatting from text, so if you do that, when you paste
into word you'll just get the words, and none of the annoying formatting
changes that they have with them

"bjoshua" wrote:

I pasted text from another source into a document, and then pasted another
piece of text from still another source below it. There was a huge gap
between the two, so I tried to delete some lines. Not happening. Then I
tried to add some notes below, and suddenly my margins were different. My
last version of Word never presented these problems. Was much simpler to
use. Any suggestions? I watched a tutorial, was too fast and didn't cover
1% of all the crud that MS has included in this version. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Possibly the pasted text included a section break. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...xtChanges.html and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...thSections.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...ectionInfo.htm. You can
get a much better handle on what you're dealing with if you display
nonprinting characters (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...intChars.htm); it's easier to see
section breaks in Normal view.

"bjoshua" wrote in message
I pasted text from another source into a document, and then pasted another
piece of text from still another source below it. There was a huge gap
between the two, so I tried to delete some lines. Not happening. Then I
tried to add some notes below, and suddenly my margins were different. My
last version of Word never presented these problems. Was much simpler to
use. Any suggestions? I watched a tutorial, was too fast and didn't
cover
1% of all the crud that MS has included in this version. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bjoshua bjoshua is offline

Thanks to both of you. Possibly older versions of Word didn't allow the
copying of formatting with the text, so I didn't encounter the problem
before. Anyways, I now have a couple ways to defeat the problem. I really
appreciate your time.

"bjoshua" wrote in message
I pasted text from another source into a document, and then pasted another
piece of text from still another source below it. There was a huge gap
between the two, so I tried to delete some lines. Not happening. Then I
tried to add some notes below, and suddenly my margins were different. My
last version of Word never presented these problems. Was much simpler to
use. Any suggestions? I watched a tutorial, was too fast and didn't
cover
1% of all the crud that MS has included in this version. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bjoshua bjoshua is offline

Very helpful, however I have no clue where "Paste Special" can be found. And
I'm really tired of hunting through 700 options in Word 2007 to find the very
few things I need to do with it.

Too bad they don't make something more simple and basic. I'm willing to bet
that the number of users who actually need all the superfluous crud included
in Word is maybe 10% of everyone who has it. People buy it because over the
years, before it became so cumbersome, so many folks used it that now almost
everyone demands Word formatted communications. So you're trapped, like it
or not.

But this is just me, venting frustration. Thanks for the informative
response.

"Peter A" wrote:

In article ,
says...
never heard of that before. but, when pasting text from multiple sources, i
do this (not the best solution, but one that you can do w/o much tech
knowledge)

Copy the text from your source (CTRL+C)
Open Notepad
Paste into notepad (CTRL+V)
Select what you just pasted, in notepad (CTRL+A)
Copy from notepad (CTRL+C)
Paste into Word (CTRL+V)

Notepad strips all formatting from text, so if you do that, when you paste
into word you'll just get the words, and none of the annoying formatting
changes that they have with them

Unnecessary effort - just choose Paste Special then Unformatted Text in
Word and you get the same result.

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can download a command reference (it's an Excel sheet) from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en.
That's where I got the info.

There's also an online version at
http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...HA100744321033

There's also a downloadable add-in at
http://www.officelabs.com:80/project...s/default.aspx that
allows you to search for commands and find out where they are in Word 2007.

There's also the Get Started tab add-in (which I confess I haven't tried
yet) at

"bjoshua" wrote in message
[...]

"Peter A" wrote:

In article ,