Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
FireHawk FireHawk is offline

Default Why is Word involuntarily switching to the insert mode?

I am doing something when I type that causes Word to switch to the insert
mode. Then, more typing causes already typed words to disappear. This only
happens when I am replacing a word that has been selected. Please help as
this is getting frustrating. Thank you very much.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You are in Overtype mode rather than Insert mode. Press the INS key once or
double-click OVR on the status bar or clear the check box for "Overtype
mode" on the Edit tab of Tools | Options.

"FireHawk" wrote in message
I am doing something when I type that causes Word to switch to the insert
mode. Then, more typing causes already typed words to disappear. This only
happens when I am replacing a word that has been selected. Please help as
this is getting frustrating. Thank you very much.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Your description sounds more like you are doing something to switch *out of*
Insert Mode rather than into it - are you pressing the Insert key by any
chance? That toggles Overtype mode on/off. It's particularly easy to do
accidentally if you're pressing the Del key before typing the replacement
text... Just select what you want to replace & start typing.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 6/8/08 11:40 AM, in article