Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Eric is offline

Default Grammar rules

Word 2003's grammar checking sometimes highlights things and I don't
understand why. For example, it has highlighted something with "Adjective use
(consider revising)".

Is there any way to find out what are the actual rules that Word is
applying, beyond the brief description, which is sometimes murky?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Eric is offline

I don't care about this particular rule. I want to figure out in general how
to find out the full statement of the rules that Word is using.

On Jun 15, 10:56 am, Eric wrote:
Word 2003's grammar checking sometimes highlights things and I don't
understand why. For example, it has highlighted something with "Adjective use
(consider revising)".

Is there any way to find out what are the actual rules that Word is
applying, beyond the brief description, which is sometimes murky?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't know anywhere that the rules are spelled out, but you can get an
idea of what sort of "grammar" and "style" issues are involved by going to
Tools | Options | Spelling & Grammar and clicking Settings in the grammar
section. The most recent KB article I can find that even comes close to
addressing this is "Frequently asked questions about grammar proofing in
Word" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290943

On Jun 15, 10:56 am, Eric wrote:
Word 2003's grammar checking sometimes highlights things and I don't
understand why. For example, it has highlighted something with
"Adjective use
(consider revising)".

Is there any way to find out what are the actual rules that Word is
applying, beyond the brief description, which is sometimes murky?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Eric is offline

Thanks. I've never heard anything good said about the grammar checker - have
you? It may be because the comments I see are from writers/editors who
generally know what they're doing and find the grammar checker's suggestions
misguided or simplistic. I wonder if there are people who like it and find it
useful.

On Jun 15, 10:56 am, Eric wrote:
Word 2003's grammar checking sometimes highlights things and I don't
understand why. For example, it has highlighted something with
"Adjective use
(consider revising)".

Is there any way to find out what are the actual rules that Word is
applying, beyond the brief description, which is sometimes murky?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I like and use "Check spelling as you type" but never run the spelling
checker explicitly. I suspect that the contextual spell checking in Word
2007 will be especially helpful. I don't use the grammar checker in any
form, for the reasons you cite (I'm a copy editor). Given the context here,
we're more likely to see complaints than plaudits, but I've never seen/heard
anyone praise the grammar checker. The only reason I can think of for using
it is that you have to endure it in order to get the reading level report,
which some writers may need.

On Jun 15, 10:56 am, Eric wrote:
Word 2003's grammar checking sometimes highlights things and I don't
understand why. For example, it has highlighted something with
"Adjective use
(consider revising)".

Is there any way to find out what are the actual rules that Word is
applying, beyond the brief description, which is sometimes murky?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Peter A wrote:
As you have found out, if you know enough about grammar to
understand its suggestions, you don't need it!

And if you don't know enough about grammar, you won't know if its
suggestions are valid.