iamvik

Default how to insert custom footer as part of firing print command

As part of information security policy, it is mandatory to label each
document about its level of confidentiality (we have 4 different levels).
However, a normal user often forgets to label, creating problems during
security audits. What I was looking for is a small add-in which makes it
mandatory to specify the level of security for the document (check box/radio
button) that gets automatically inserted as footer in the printed document.
Jay Freedman

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:40:14 -0700, iamvik
wrote:

As part of information security policy, it is mandatory to label each
document about its level of confidentiality (we have 4 different levels).
However, a normal user often forgets to label, creating problems during
security audits. What I was looking for is a small add-in which makes it
mandatory to specify the level of security for the document (check box/radio
button) that gets automatically inserted as footer in the printed document.

It's not too difficult to write a macro in an add-in like that. See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...tSavePrint.htm for
general information. There are some design questions you need to
answer first, though:

- Does the statement have to go on every page, only on the first page,
or some other arrangement?

- Do any of the documents have multiple sections? If so, are their
footers marked "Same as Previous" or not? Do any of them have
"Different first page" or "Different even and odd" turned on in the
File Page Setup Layout dialog?

- Is there other information in the footers that needs to be
preserved, or should the confidentiality statement be the only thing
in the footer?

- What are the names of the four levels? What is the exact wording of
the label that goes in the footer for each level?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
iamvik

Dear Jay,

Thanks a lot for the reply. I went through your site and although i got the
general idea of how it is done, I must confess, being a complete
non-programmer, excuting that is way beyond me. What I wanted was - as soon
as a user fires a print command (CTRL+P or printer icon) in Word or Excel, he
should be presented with a dialog box:
1. Stating "Please indicate the security classification of this document"
2. Radio button options: "Client Confidential", "Confidential", "Company
Internal" or "Public"
3. Check mark: "On all pages" or "Not on first page" (meaning on all pages
except the first)
4. In the printed document, footer to contain the security clasification
selected - "Client Confidential", "Confidential", "Company Internal" or
[blank] in case of "Public" AND the page number (again no page number in case
of "Public")
5. The document will not have multiple sections

I will be grateful if you could help me on this. With various information
security related legislations upon the industry, I'm sure many other users
wil have the same requirement.

Thanks & Regards,

vik

wrote:

[...]

Charles Kenyon

And what do you want to have happen if a security level has already been
set? Do you want your macro running each time the document is printed?
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

wrote:

[...]

iamvik

Hi Charles,

Pertinent question. I guess the macro should run every time a print command
is given, whether for the same document or for any other document. The way
out might be that when the user clicks the classification "Public", the macro
takes no action and let the document print as it would have without the macro.

Regards,

vik

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

And what do you want to have happen if a security level has already been
set? Do you want your macro running each time the document is printed?
--
Charles Kenyon

Jay Freedman

I created an add-in, confidentiality.dot, which you can download from
http://jay-freedman.info/confidentiality.zip. Unzip it into your Word
Startup folder (see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...latesStore.htm to
find the location) and restart Word. Whenever you print any document,
the popup you described will appear first.

You'll probably want several improvements. For one, I took literally
your statement 'no page number in case of "Public"' -- if there was a
page number in the document before using the Print command, choosing
"Public" will remove it. You might want to qualify that...

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman