Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Insert a future date

This may be a dumb question, but I can't figure out how to get Word (2003) to
insert a future date. For example, insert the date that is 30 days from the
current date.

Thanks for any help. I can't believe the time I've spent trying to figure
this out.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

I take it you are using the macro?

mask = "d MMMM yyyy" ' Set Date format
Default = "-30" ' Set default.

Will insert the date 30 days in the past? ie 13 December 2005
What do you have for these two settings?

Did you checkout the link that has examples of using fields for this?

Bryan L wrote:
Graham,

I've used your sample on the linked page and it works great for future
dates; however, I can't get it to work properly with negative numbers
for past dates. For example, if I change the Delay to a negative
number, the merged document gets a calculated date even further in
the future than its positive equivalent. Has anyone else run across
this and found a solution? I've looked at the code, but before I try
a deep step-by-step analysis I want to make sure I'm not reinventing
the wheel (not to mention I don't think I'm qualified to necessarily
get it right!).
Thanks,

Bryan

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
See http://www.gmayor.com/insert_a_date_...than_today.htm

This may be a dumb question, but I can't figure out how to get Word
(2003) to insert a future date. For example, insert the date that
is 30 days from the current date.

Thanks for any help. I can't believe the time I've spent trying to
figure this out.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Charles Kenyon

This is more complex than you might imagine, but it can be done. See
http://addbalance.com/word/datefields2.htm for information on the different
kinds of ways to make a date calculation work. It includes links to pages
with fields and an explanation of different macros that can be used instead
of fields.

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

news
This may be a dumb question, but I can't figure out how to get Word (2003)
insert a future date. For example, insert the date that is 30 days from
the
current date.

Thanks for any help. I can't believe the time I've spent trying to figure
this out.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Apart from the fact that it should be Mergefield MemoDate and not MemoDate,
I can't see anything wrong with that.
Does the unaltered code from Macropod's document work correctly? It does
here.

In case Macropod isn't watching this group, I'll copy your query to him for
comment.

Bryan L wrote:
Graham,

No, I'm actually using the Merge Field code rather than the macro. As it
turns out, it looks like I pulled my sample from MacroPod's
"WORD Date & Time Manipulation; Tips & Techniques" document, from the
section "Date Calculations In A Mailmerge". My dates are merged into
the document from a SQL 2000 data source. Here's a sample from my
document:
The above policy will expire at 12:01am on Bpol_ExpirationDate. In
order for the carrier to provide a renewal quote we will need the
following items returned to our office no later than {QUOTE
{SET Delay 14}
{SET a{=INT((14-{MemoDate \@ M})/12)}}
{SET b{={MemoDate \@ yyyy}+4800-a}}
{SET c{={MemoDate \@ M }+12*a-3 }}
{SET d{MemoDate \@ d}}
{SET jd{=d+INT((153*c+2)/5)+365*b+INT(b/4)-INT(b/100)+INT(b/400)-
32045+Delay}}
{SET e{=INT((4*(jd+32044)+3)/146097)}}
{SET f{=jd+32044-INT(146097*e/4)}}
{SET g{=INT((4*f+3)/1461)}}
{SET h{=f-INT(1461*g/4)}}
{SET i{=INT((5*h+2)/153)}}
{SET dd{=h-INT((153*i+2)/5)+111
{SET mm{=i+3-12*INT(i/10)}}
{SET yy{=100*e+g-4800+INT(i/10)}}
{QUOTE{=dd*10^6+mm*10^4+yy \- "00'-'00'-'0000"} \@
dddd, MMMM d, yyyy"}}:

I removed the MERGEFIELD entry (on line 3 in his original: {MERGEFIELD
MergeDate \@ d/MM/yyyy}) because it resulted in the unprocessed date
displaying immediately preceding the calculated date. I modified the
display mask on the final line to the format I liked. I've changed
the SET Delay line to the following:

{SET Delay 14}
{SET Delay 7}
{SET Delay -7}
{SET Delay -14}
{SET Delay (-7)}

Positive numbers work correctly. Negative numbers don't, with
whatever syntax I've attempted. I haven't found any actual samples
that show negative numbers being used in this (I was looking for one
to check for any special syntax requirements).

I hope this clarifies things, let me know if I can provide you with a
copy of his doc or anything else.

Thanks again,

Bryan

______________________

Bryan L wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Thanks for that.

Bryan L wrote:
I found the solution in one of MacroPod's posted replies to a
similarly-frustrated user on the Woody's Lounge forum. I'll repost
for the benefit of readers he

"The clue to your problem is in the output format you've specified in
[your post]. The fields in the document are region-dependent and are
coded to work on systems that are configured to display dates
formatted as d/MM/yyyy (short form) or dddd, d MMMM yyyy (long form).
Something I'll need to note in the next update. Your 'issue' relates
to a system that is configured to display dates formatted as
MM/d/yyyy (short form) or dddd, MMMM d yyyy (long form). To obtain
the correctly result is as simple as changing the expression
'dd*10^6+mm*10^4+yy' to 'mm*10^6+dd*10^4+yy'. Adding the appropriate
date switch will then display the result accordingly."
I changed my expression to the alternative he provided and it fixed my
problem; all positive and negative delay values now calculate to the
correct date. Many users in the USA may want to make a note of this.

Thanks again to MacroPod for excellent work and his continuing
assistance!!
Bryan

"Bryan L" wrote in
message ...
Ok, I've learned a bit more. *(Note that in all my examples, I'm
substituting my merge field "MemoDate" for his merge field
"MergeDate". MemoDate happens to always merge the current date. I'm
using it in my merge templates instead of Word's built-in Date
function because if I can get it to work properly I'll know I can
perform date calculations on any other dates pulled from our DB). Here's
what's happening: Using his unaltered* code produces the following result
in my
mailmerge document:

no later than 13/01/2006Friday, January 27, 2006:

I thought I'd found an "oops" in the code when I saw the two dates
side-by-side, which is why you saw in yesterday's post I had omitted
Line 3, {MERGEFIELD MergeDate \@ d/MM/yyyy}. Doing so corrected the
problem of the 13/01/2006 preceding the calculated date, and the
displayed calculated date still appeared to be correct:

no later than Friday, January 27, 2006:

I experimented with different positive delay values and they all
worked. I then experimented with negative delays and got strange
results. The list below shows my output with various negative delay
values (with Line 3 still omitted as mentioned above):

(various negative numbers)
-1: no later than Friday, December 1, 2006:
-2: no later than Wednesday, November 1, 2006:
-3: no later than Sunday, October 1, 2006:
-4: no later than Friday, September 1, 2006:
-5: no later than Tuesday, August 1, 2006:
-6: no later than Saturday, July 1, 2006
-7: no later than Thursday, June 1, 2006:
-10: no later than Wednesday, March 1, 2006:
-12: no later than Sunday, January 1, 2006:
-13: no later than Saturday, December 31, 2005:
-14: no later than Friday, December 30, 2005:
-15: no later than Thursday, December 29, 2005:
-16: no later than Wednesday, December 28, 2005:
-20: no later than Saturday, December 24, 2005:
-21: no later than Friday, December 23, 2005:
-22: no later than Thursday, December 22, 2005:
-23: no later than Wednesday, December 21, 2005
-24: no later than Tuesday, December 20, 2005:
-25: no later than Monday, December 19, 2005:
-26: no later than Sunday, December 18, 2005:
-27: no later than Saturday, December 17, 2005:
-28: no later than Friday, December 16, 2005:
-29: no later than Thursday, December 15, 2005:
-30: no later than Wednesday, December 14, 2005:
-31: no later than Tuesday, December 13, 2005:
-32: no later than Monday, December 12, 2005:
-33: no later than Saturday, November 12, 2005:
-34: no later than Wednesday, October 12, 2005:
-35: no later than Monday, September 12, 2005:
-36: no later than Friday, August 12, 2005:
-37: no later than Tuesday, July 12, 2005:
-38: no later than Sunday, June 12, 2005:
-42: no later than Saturday, February 12, 2005:
-49: no later than Friday, November 25, 2005:
-56: no later than Friday, November 18, 2005:
-63: no later than Friday, November 11, 2005:
-70: no later than Monday, April 11, 2005:
-77: no later than Friday, October 28, 2005:
-84: no later than Friday, October 21, 2005:

If I restore the MemoDate mergefield from Line 3 and try a sampling
of dates from the list above I get the following:

-1: no later than 13/01/2006Friday, December 1, 2006:
-2: no later than 13/01/2006Wednesday, November 1, 2006:
-15: no later than 13/01/2006Thursday, December 29, 2005:
-28: no later than 13/01/2006Friday, December 16, 2005:
-38: no later than 13/01/2006Sunday, June 12, 2005:

As you can see, there is no change in the correctness of the date
calculations. Good dates are still good and bad dates are still bad;
they are all simply prepended with the result of the MemoDate merge
field. In MacroPod's document beneath the example for Date Calculations
In A
Mailmerge, he includes the following note:

In the above example, the Mergedate wouldn't normally
display (it does here because this document doesn't use a true
mailmerge) and, if the delay was being imported as part of the
mailmerge, you could also replace {SET Delay nn} with {SET
Delay{MERGEFIELD MergeDelay \# 0}}.

I think the MergeDate (or in my case, the MemoDate) field isn't
intended to be diplayed, but is somehow to be used in the
calculations. Since in my document it's displaying for some reason,
it's probably NOT being used in the calculations as intended, and in
some cases this results in bad output when a negative delay is used.

To rule it out as an issue, I've changed my customized diplay mask
at the end of the last line to match his example. No change.

Since I don't have a datasource that uses MergeDate as a valid merge
field, how can I test his code completely unaltered? Would that
fact that I'm using merge fields from a SQL datasource change
anything? Should simply replacing his Mergefield with a valid one
for my datasource "break" the code?

Thanks again for all input and the time spent on this.

Bryan

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Apart from the fact that it should be Mergefield MemoDate and not
MemoDate, I can't see anything wrong with that.
Does the unaltered code from Macropod's document work correctly? It
does here.

In case Macropod isn't watching this group, I'll copy your query to
him for comment.

snip

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Chris Stammers

Hello,

I am also trying to do this (I need to add 14 days to todays date). I picked
up a long string of code from one of the guys here which works well on its
own however, when used in a mail merge document, the code interferes with the
merge fields and stops them working, so no letters are produced at all. We
are using Word 2000 v9.0. Does anyone have any experience of this? I should
perhaps say that the source data is coming from an AS400 system rather than a
created Excel or Access file.

Thanks.
Regards,
Chris

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

This is more complex than you might imagine, but it can be done. See
http://addbalance.com/word/datefields2.htm for information on the different
kinds of ways to make a date calculation work. It includes links to pages
with fields and an explanation of different macros that can be used instead
of fields.

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

news
This may be a dumb question, but I can't figure out how to get Word (2003)
insert a future date. For example, insert the date that is 30 days from
the
current date.

Thanks for any help. I can't believe the time I've spent trying to figure
this out.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

What do you mean by 'interferes'? You have to substitute your mergefields
and switches as appropriate - see

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

This is more complex than you might imagine, but it can be done. See
http://addbalance.com/word/datefields2.htm for information on the
different kinds of ways to make a date calculation work. It includes
links to pages with fields and an explanation of different macros
that can be used instead of fields.

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

news
This may be a dumb question, but I can't figure out how to get Word
insert a future date. For example, insert the date that is 30 days
from the
current date.

Thanks for any help. I can't believe the time I've spent trying to
figure this out.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Chris Stammers

It stopped the mailmerge working. When we deleted the future date code, the
mailmerge worked with no problems or errors. The mergefields we are using are
pre-determined by our database and although we can use the usual picture
switches - caps/upper etc - we can't modify the data any further. I hope I
haven't missed the point here!

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

This is more complex than you might imagine, but it can be done. See
http://addbalance.com/word/datefields2.htm for information on the
different kinds of ways to make a date calculation work. It includes
links to pages with fields and an explanation of different macros
that can be used instead of fields.

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

news This may be a dumb question, but I can't figure out how to get Word
insert a future date. For example, insert the date that is 30 days
from the
current date.

Thanks for any help. I can't believe the time I've spent trying to
figure this out.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

The field construction to add 14 days to a mergefield (here Datefield) is

{QUOTE{SET Delay 14}{SET a{=INT((14-{MERGEFIELD DATEFIELD \@ M})/12)}}{SET
b{={MERGEFIELD DATEFIELD \@ yyyy}+4800-a}}{SET c{={MERGEFIELD DATEFIELD \@
M}+12*a-3}}{SET d{MERGEFIELD DATEFIELD \@ d}}{SET
jd{=d+INT((153*c+2)/5)+365*b+INT(b/4)-INT(b/100)+INT(b/400)-32045+Delay}}{SET
e{=INT((4*(jd+32044)+3)/146097)}}{SET f{=jd+32044-INT(146097*e/4)}}{SET
g{=INT((4*f+3)/1461)}}{SET h{=f-INT(1461*g/4)}}{SET
i{=INT((5*h+2)/153)}}{SET dd{=h-INT((153*i+2)/5)+1}}{SET
mm{=i+3-12*INT(i/10)}}{SET yy{=100*e+g-4800+INT(i/10)}}{=dd*10^6+mm*10^4+yy
\# "00'-'00'-'0000"} \@ "dddd, d MMMM yyyy"}

You are asking for trouble if you try to reconstruct that by hand, so
download the sample document via the link on the quoted web page and edit
the sample code

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

This is more complex than you might imagine, but it can be done.
See http://addbalance.com/word/datefields2.htm for information on
the different kinds of ways to make a date calculation work. It
includes links to pages with fields and an explanation of
different macros that can be used instead of fields.

--
Charles Kenyon

Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version
of Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide) http://addbalance.com/usersguide

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

message news This may be a dumb question, but I can't figure out how to get
Word (2003) to
insert a future date. For example, insert the date that is 30
days from the
current date.

Thanks for any help. I can't believe the time I've spent trying
to figure this out.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

I get the impression that the problem could be that the date fields coming
across from the AS400 are not treated as dates by Word. If Word sees the
field "mydate" as a date, then Word's date switches should function, e.g. if
mydate is 13 June 2006, then

{ MERGEFIELD mydate \@YYYY }

should display as 2006,

{ MERGEFIELD mydate \@M }

should display as 6, and so on. This is crucial to the functioning of the
fields Graham describes.

If Word is not treating your AS400 dates as dates, either another approach
is needed or you need to try to get it to do so. I don't know AS400 and
don't have one to experiment with here, but
a. are the dates in something that is obviously a date field on AS400?
b. how are you connecting to the AS400? Do you use an ODBC driver or an
OLEDB provider? Do you know if the AS400 driver/provider implements a
standard dialect of SQL?

Peter Jamieson

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Chris Stammers

Dear Peter,

I note that you are using a field called MYDATE. The date field that is
being used is { TIME \@ €œdd MMMM yyyy€ }. Could that be making it all fall
over do you think? The letter date isn't being driven from AS400.

Does the 'mydate' function still populate today's date?

Regards,
Chris

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

I note that you are using a field called MYDATE

I was just using "mydate" as a sample name for a date field, to be
substituted by whatever date field name you might have. (cf. Graham's use of
"DATEFIELD"). But you don't have one anyway.

Using TIME instead of the MERGEFIELD DATEFIELD works fine here and allows
the merge, at least on Word 2003 - I haven't been able to check with Word
2000.

being used is { TIME \@ "dd MMMM yyyy" }. Could that be making it all fall

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Peter
From private correspondence it may have been an issue involving smart quotes
in the date switches, as I have sent the Chris a working copy of the field
and that works for him.

is being used is { TIME \@ "dd MMMM yyyy" }. Could that be making it

http://addbalance.com/usersguide See also the MVP FAQ:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/ which is awesome!
from my ignorance and your wisdom.

message news This may be a dumb question, but I can't figure out how to get
Word (2003)
insert a future date. For example, insert the date that is 30
days from
the
current date.

Thanks for any help. I can't believe the time I've spent trying
to figure
this out.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Thanks Graham.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Peter
From private correspondence it may have been an issue involving smart
quotes in the date switches, as I have sent the Chris a working copy of