TOC & Header numbering issue

Old September 16th 08, 05:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
annoni

Default TOC & Header numbering issue

I am trying to apply header style to each topics to create TOC. First 3
headers do not have numbering…plain text and from 4th numbering starts I. II.
III… When I applied header style to headers with I, II, III numberings,
numbering disappears!

I see that I can modify header style so I get numbering but the first three
headers do not have numbers. How do I fix this? Please help and thanks.

Old September 16th 08, 09:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What I usually do is create a separate (unnumbered) Front Matter Head style
that is identical to but NOT based on (numbered) Heading 1. I give it an
outline level of 1 so that it will be picked up by the TOC and formatted as
TOC 1, just the same as Heading 1.

news

Old September 17th 08, 10:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
annoni

Thanks for the tip. Now, Is there a way to apply format/style to outline
items? When I generated toc, unnumbered outlined items looked different from
numbered headings...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What I usually do is create a separate (unnumbered) Front Matter Head style
that is identical to but NOT based on (numbered) Heading 1. I give it an
outline level of 1 so that it will be picked up by the TOC and formatted as
TOC 1, just the same as Heading 1.

news

Old September 18th 08, 12:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If they use the same outline level, they should look the same except for the
numbering. TOC entries will, however, pick up any direct font formatting
applied to the headings they represent.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What I usually do is create a separate (unnumbered) Front Matter Head
style
that is identical to but NOT based on (numbered) Heading 1. I give it an
outline level of 1 so that it will be picked up by the TOC and formatted
as
TOC 1, just the same as Heading 1.

"annoni" wrote in message
news
I am trying to apply header style to each topics to create TOC. First 3
headers do not have numbering.plain text and from 4th numbering starts
I.
II.
III. When I applied header style to headers with I, II, III
numberings,
numbering disappears!

I see that I can modify header style so I get numbering but the first
three
headers do not have numbers. How do I fix this? Please help and
thanks.

Page Numbering Issue marf Microsoft Word Help 2 May 19th 08 10:50 AM
Page Numbering Issue Matt Harp Microsoft Word Help 1 May 5th 08 06:58 PM
header issue Ken Microsoft Word Help 2 May 24th 07 12:56 AM
Header & Footer Issue BCIGARE Microsoft Word Help 1 December 1st 06 10:59 PM
header issue JIP Tables 7 May 30th 06 11:25 PM