pasted chart loses data during merge to email

Old May 26th 05, 05:22 AM
Mike Williams

Default pasted chart loses data during merge to email

With Office XP

I have a word file with a small chart, a bar graph, pasted in from an excel
file and it's behaving weirdly. The word file, let's say mergeform.doc, is
being used as a mailmerge form, and the strange behavior comes up during a
merge to email. I've posted a similar inquiry in the .mailmerge.fields
group-apologies--but this group seems more likely. Here's the behavior.

Mergeform.doc draws its merge data from a different excel file,
datasource.xls. When I execute the merge to email from machine A,
everything goes fine, and in the sent email the pasted (non-dynamic) chart
looks fine. When I transfer both the datasource.xls and the mergeform.doc
to Machine B, and execute the merge to email, then in the sent email the
chart is missing its data bars.

Notably, mergeform.doc displays and prints the chart just fine. The
problem only comes up in a merge to email.

I see from all the various posts that the business of getting even a simple
excel chart into a word document is complex, and I'd love to find an
explanation somewhere. The real puzzler for me is this works fine from one
machine, not from the other. They're both running the same software, and
AFIK, configured the same.

Thanks enormously for any help.