Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Runar Runar is offline

Default How do I merge several Word documents into one document?

Is it possible to have one document and merge several documents into this,
and still work on every individual document and the master will automatic
update?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Runar,

Word has a 'master document' feature, but it seems especially prone to corrupting documents.

A reliable alternative is to use INCLUDETEXT fields to link your main document and its various parts. You can create such a field in
the main document via Insert|Field. Word's Help file provides more details. Once you've got the documents linked, if you're editing
in a linked area of the main document, pressing Ctrl-Shift-F7 will propagate the changes to the source document - if you don't do
this the changes will be lost in both copies. On the other hand, you can edit the source document in the normal manner and, provided
you've got the 'update links' button checked under Tools|Options, the changes will be reflected automatically in the main document
next time you open it.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Runar" wrote in message ...
Is it possible to have one document and merge several documents into this,
and still work on every individual document and the master will automatic
update?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Runar Runar is offline

Hi again,

does this also work in Word 2007?
I don't find tje Insert|Field-function.

regards,
Runar

"Runar" wrote:

Is it possible to have one document and merge several documents into this,
and still work on every individual document and the master will automatic
update?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Runar,

Yes, it works with Word 2007 also - except that its on the Insert ribbon under 'Quick Parts'. The shortcut keys (for all Word
versions) are Alt-i, f.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Runar" wrote:

Is it possible to have one document and merge several documents into this,
and still work on every individual document and the master will automatic
update?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
EliMar EliMar is offline

Another way to merge multiple documents is shown in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=hmykKZAmK3k

Split a mail merge document into individual documents leedelee Mailmerge 29 April 10th 23 08:29 PM
To merge several documents in one master document atmbonda Microsoft Word Help 1 May 30th 07 03:52 PM
How can I merge two word documents into one? Louise Microsoft Word Help 2 February 22nd 06 12:16 AM
merge word documents Penny Mailmerge 1 July 7th 05 08:56 PM
Save documents separately within a large merge document Annie B Mailmerge 0 May 13th 05 05:26 PM