Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Fraser Fraser is offline

Default Show comments inline in text?

Hello,

Is is possible to have comments displayed inline in the text? I have seen
how to display edits/changes inline but cannot figure out how to show the
comments that way. Thank you in advance for any helpful advice.

Fraser
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Show comments inline in text?

Note: This process may vary slightly depending on the version of Microsoft Word you are using.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Fraser wrote:
Hello,

Is is possible to have comments displayed inline in the text? I have
seen how to display edits/changes inline but cannot figure out how to
show the comments that way. Thank you in advance for any helpful
advice.

Fraser

Sorry, no. Word shows comments in balloons or in the Reviewing Pane, but not
inline.

If you know that's what you want, you could type all your comments as
tracked inserts. You can temporarily change your name in the User
Information section of the options dialog (for instance, add a character to
it), and then you can use the Tracked Changes option to display only the
changes from that "author" to see inline "comments".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Fraser Fraser is offline

Thank you Jay. I will do that in future. Unfortunately that won't help with
the document I have already commented. Ah well ...

Thank you for the prompt and helpful suggestion.

Cheers,
Fraser

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Fraser wrote:
Hello,

Is is possible to have comments displayed inline in the text? I have
seen how to display edits/changes inline but cannot figure out how to
show the comments that way. Thank you in advance for any helpful
advice.

Fraser

Sorry, no. Word shows comments in balloons or in the Reviewing Pane, but not
inline.

If you know that's what you want, you could type all your comments as
tracked inserts. You can temporarily change your name in the User
Information section of the options dialog (for instance, add a character to
it), and then you can use the Tracked Changes option to display only the
changes from that "author" to see inline "comments".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You can use a macro such as the following:

Sub InsertNotesInText()
Dim c As Comment
For Each c In ActiveDocument.Comments
c.Reference.InsertAfter "[" & c.Range.Text & "]"
Next c
End Sub

For assistance, see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

Run the macro to insert the comment text. Make sure not to save the document
unless you want to save the "inline" comments (but, of course, you can print
it or Save As).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Fraser wrote:
[...]

so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Fraser Fraser is offline

Thank you Stefan,

I will try that on the next occasion when I have to extract the comments. It
seems that Word can be made to do almost anything via macros. I appreciate
all of the helpful advice.

Cheers,
Fraser

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Fraser wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Thank you for the feedback. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Fraser wrote:
[...]

newsgroup
so

jessewalker jessewalker is offline
Junior Member

Hi Mr. Stefan Blom

What if add Highlight in the c.Range.Text?

It doesn't work with me, please correct me.

Sub InsertNotesInText()
Dim c As Comment
For Each c In ActiveDocument.Comments
c.Reference.InsertAfter "[" & c.Range.Text & "]"
c.Range.Text.Highlightcolour=True
Next c
End Sub

Many Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Fraser wrote:
[...]

Microsoft Word MVP FAQ:
http://word.mvps.org