Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David H.[_2_] David H.[_2_] is offline

Default New Word Document entry missing from Windows File menu

After upgrading from Office 2000 to Office 2007 on Windows XP, I have one
small but annoying symptom: In Windows Explorer, File | New allows me to
create a new "Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet" or even a new "Microsoft
Office Access 2007 Database", but there is no entry shown for a new
"Microsoft Office Word Document". It's just missing from the menu, and also
from the Context menu that pops up when I right-click in My Documents or
other folder.
I have repaired Office. I have compared my registry entry
(HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.docx\Word.Document.12\ShellNew ) with the entry in a
similar computer that works properly, and the entries are identical.
What else can I do?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Try re-registering Word. Click Start - Run - and type winword.exe /r

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"David H." wrote in message
After upgrading from Office 2000 to Office 2007 on Windows XP, I have one
small but annoying symptom: In Windows Explorer, File | New allows me to
create a new "Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet" or even a new "Microsoft
Office Access 2007 Database", but there is no entry shown for a new
"Microsoft Office Word Document". It's just missing from the menu, and
also
from the Context menu that pops up when I right-click in My Documents or
other folder.
I have repaired Office. I have compared my registry entry
(HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.docx\Word.Document.12\ShellNew ) with the entry in a
similar computer that works properly, and the entries are identical.
What else can I do?

HERE'S THE SOLUTION HERE'S THE SOLUTION is offline
Junior Member

Arrow

I THINK I HAVE THE SOLUTION. After spending hours (more than I care to admit) researching the same problem, I've come back here to share a SOLUTION WITH OTHERS who are having this problem so that your life is easier:

HERE'S THE PROBLEM AGAIN: "WORD IS MISSING FROM THE CONTEXT "NEW" MENU"

HERE'S THE SOLUTION THAT WORKED FO ME:

1. Do NOT go to [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.doc\ShellNew]

INSTEAD, go to:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dot\ShellNew]

2. Expand that .dot

3. You'll see several files. Look for something like "Word.Template.8" (or similar may work for you, don't know yet).

4. Expand that Word.Template.8

5. You'll see "ShellNew" beneath that.

6. Open ShellNew and then on the RIGHT side, that's where you want to put your new string. Call it "Nullfile" and don't do anything to it.

NOW, after refreshing/restarting, YOU SHOULD NOW SEE "Word" in your CONTEXT MENU NEW options.

Hope this solution helps as many as possible.
Tony4554 Tony4554 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H.[_2_] View Post
After upgrading from Office 2000 to Office 2007 on Windows XP, I have one
small but annoying symptom: In Windows Explorer, File | New allows me to
create a new "Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet" or even a new "Microsoft
Office Access 2007 Database", but there is no entry shown for a new
"Microsoft Office Word Document". It's just missing from the menu, and also
from the Context menu that pops up when I right-click in My Documents or
other folder.
I have repaired Office. I have compared my registry entry
(HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.docx\Word.Document.12\ShellNew ) with the entry in a
similar computer that works properly, and the entries are identical.
What else can I do?
After many hours of research, installs, uninstalls, reinstalls, repairs, reregistering word etc. etc. I was able to add the Word 97 and 2003 type to the right click menu option by just adding a NullFile string to the “Word.Document.8” key under the .doc key in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.doc but it would not do anything under the .docx key.

I wanted the 2010 docx of office 2010 functionality.
I have found out what I had to do to get back the Right-click New Microsoft Word Document function of Office 2010 in Windows Explorer and on the Desktop.

I found that four keys were missing in the registry in comparison with my other computer’s installation of Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010.

Remember to back up the .docx key by exporting it to a safe folder so that you could have it if necessary.

I opened the registry to – HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.docx
Steps creating keys are done on the left window pane in the registry.
1) Below the .docx key I create the first key that was missing by right clicking on the “.docx” key then go down to New, then left click on Key and name it “OpenWithList” without the quotes.
Inside of that key is the automatically created String Value (default) REG_SZ (value not set)
2) Inside of the “OpenWithList” create the second key. Right click on the “OpenWithList” key then go down to New, then left click on Key and name this new key “WordPad.exe” without the quotes.
Inside of that key is the automatically created String Value (default) REG_SZ (value not set)

3) Right click on the “.docx” key then go down to New, then left click on Key to create the third key and name it “Word.Document.12” without the quotes.
Inside of that key is the automatically created String Value (default) REG_SZ (value not set)
4) Right click on the “Word.Document.12” key then go down to New, then left click on Key to create the fourth key and name it “ShellNew” without the quotes.
Inside of that key is the automatically created String Value (default) REG_SZ (value not set)

The next thing to do is to create a string value newly created “ShellNew” key but this is done in the window on the right side.
5) Left click on ShellNew in the left window to select the key. Now in the window on the right side; Right click in the empty space go to New then select String Value. Name the new string “NullFile” without the quotes, Type is REG_SZ Leave the data empty.
6) Lastly, in the left window left click on key .docx, In the right side window make sure that the data of the (Default) string is Word.Document.12 – To change it, doubleclick on the string named (Default) , a window will open up and you change the data value to Word.Document.12 (My data value was “docx_auto_file”)

You are done. Close the registry. Test the right click context menu now.
I hope that this will help some people.
Stoffel66 Stoffel66 is offline
Junior Member

Thumbs up

Thank you Tony4554, your advise was spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony4554 View Post