Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sally sally is offline

Default Linking/based on template

Hi there

I'm using Word 2007 and have templates with a few building blocks that are
template specific - eg. custom Cover Page, Headers & Footers, etc. and I
have a couple of issues I don't seem to be able to find the answer to.

If I create a document based on my custom template and then email the
document, the link to the 'based on' template is broken and the custom
building blocks are no longer accessible (why 'o why can't building blocks
be template specific like styles??).

In all my searching (online and books), I can't find any useful information
about how documents based on templates interact with each other to be able
to work with this. I mostly find information about how great 'Building
Blocks.dotx' is and store your custom building blocks here! Which is fine.
For just Me. But I have a number of users I need to roll this out to. Would
someone be able to point me in the right direction so I can learn about
template/document links, how they interact and what breaks them? And the
best way to deploy custom building blocks to a number of users (without
using the 'Building Blocks.dotx')? In an ideal world, my building blocks
would be template specific so I don't end up with users being faced with a
multitude of choices, but I fear this is not possible.

Any hints/pointers?

Many thanks in advance,
-s

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The only solution is to e-mail both the document and the template containing the
building block.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"sally" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sally sally is offline

Thanks for your 'hint/pointer', impractical as it is. It also doesn't really
answer any other questions I posed about how I can learn more about
template/document relationships. But that's pretty typical of your posts.

I've since found some more useful answers from more knowledgable MVPs.

Regardless, thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to post and empart
your knowledge.

"sally" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm all for feedback; it helps me provide a better answer the next time a
similar question comes up. Quoting the reply that WAS in fact helpful would also
help others who may have a similar question. An insult, on the other hand,
doesn't help anyone.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"sally" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi Sally,

"sally" schrieb

[Word 2007]
If I create a document based on my custom template and then email the
document, the link to the 'based on' template is broken
and the custom building blocks are no longer accessible (why 'o why
can't building blocks be template specific like styles??).

building blocks are template specific - they cannot be saved within
documents (*.docx, *.docm). But styles can be saved in templates as
well as in documents.

In all my searching (online and books), I can't find any useful
information about how documents based on templates interact
with each other to be able to work with this. I mostly find
information about how great 'Building Blocks.dotx' is and store your
custom building blocks here! Which is fine.
For just Me. But I have a number of users I need to roll this out to.

You can save building blocks in different templates, like AutoText in
former versions of Word.
If users have to use special building blocks (or AutoText) with a
letter template, include those BB in the letter.dotx. If they need
special BB with a manual template, provide those BB within the
manual.dotx...

Would someone be able to point me in the right direction so I can
learn about template/document links, how they interact and what
breaks them?

Documents are only unlinked copies of a template. But the template can
still provide building blocks, macros, and a customized Quick Access
Toolbar. And document styles can be updated by the template styles (if
their names are identical).

Timesaving Templates
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/microsoft_of...templates.aspx

How to create, view, and share Word 2007 templates
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/templates/ar...templates.aspx

Behind the Curtain: Stories in Word
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/microsoft_of...s-in-word.aspx

What happens when I attach a new template to my document? or How do I
copy content and settings from a template to a document?
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/atta...ate/index.html

And the best way to deploy custom building blocks to a number of
users (without using the 'Building Blocks.dotx')?

Managing and Administrating Building Blocks
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/microsoft_of...ng-blocks.aspx

Deploying Building Blocks
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/microsoft_of...ng-blocks.aspx

--