Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
PatLee PatLee is offline

Default create my own TOC

dear all,
I'm using MS Office 2010. When using Word, I insert a TOC with 3 layers (by using different header styles). After I choose the TOC by below steps, there is a header description "Table of Content", how can I define one during the modification?

1)select "reference"
2)select "Table of Content"
3)select "insert table of content"
4)I choose modify to change the fonts & add a border
5)click "ok"
6)the TOC inserted.

Please help and thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

To modify the heading above the TOC, modify the TOC Heading style. Here
is one way: In the Apply Styles pane (Ctrl+Shift+S), type in TOC Heading
and then click the Modify button. Make the desired changes. If you want
to transfer the settings to your template, select "New documents based
on this template" before clicking OK in the Modify Style dialog box.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
PatLee PatLee is offline

On Tuesday, December 4, 2012 5:47:10 PM UTC+8, PatLee wrote:
dear all,

I'm using MS Office 2010. When using Word, I insert a TOC with 3 layers (by using different header styles). After I choose the TOC by below steps, there is a header description "Table of Content", how can I define one during the modification?

1)select "reference"

2)select "Table of Content"

3)select "insert table of content"

4)I choose modify to change the fonts & add a border

5)click "ok"

6)the TOC inserted.

Please help and thanks in advance.

Stefan,
thanks for your advice, but in the APply Styples pane cannot find field to update the heading, please advise in more detail or pls send the screen shot to my gmail

Thanks so much.
Patrick
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

After you have typed in an existing style name, the Modify button should be
active. Are you saying that this doesn't happen on your installation?

If you click inside the TOC heading, which style name is displayed in the Apply
Styles pane? Do you see the Modify button now?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"PatLee" wrote in message

Stefan,
thanks for your advice, but in the APply Styples pane cannot find field to
update the heading, please advise in more detail or pls send the screen shot
to my gmail

Thanks so much.
Patrick

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
PatLee PatLee is offline

"PatLee" wrote in message

Stefan,

thanks for your advice, but in the APply Styples pane cannot find field to

update the heading, please advise in more detail or pls send the screen shot

to my gmail

Thanks so much.

Patrick

Stefan,
it shows "Hyperlink", when I click modify to over type it, the heading still cannot be modified.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

OK, the Hyperlink style is applied to the entries by default (when the
TOC is hyperlinked that is). But I thought you were talking about the
headline *above* the TOC--the one that says "TOC Heading"? Apparently I
misunderstood your question.

What are you trying to change, exactly?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Actually, the *text* of the headline says "Table of Contents" or
something similar of course.

I apologize for creating any additional confusion. :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
PatLee PatLee is offline

On Tuesday, December 4, 2012 5:47:10 PM UTC+8, PatLee wrote:
dear all,

I'm using MS Office 2010. When using Word, I insert a TOC with 3 layers (by using different header styles). After I choose the TOC by below steps, there is a header description "Table of Content", how can I define one during the modification?

1)select "reference"

2)select "Table of Content"

3)select "insert table of content"

4)I choose modify to change the fonts & add a border

5)click "ok"

6)the TOC inserted.

Please help and thanks in advance.

Stefan,
I was talking about the heading after I inserted a TOC, the one I saw at the top of the table. When I created my own style of table of content, it didn't show the words "Table of Content".
Sorry for giving you so many troubles and thanks again.
Patrick
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If you save a custom TOC format as a Building Block, you must add your own text
("Table of Contents" or whatever you prefer).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"PatLee" wrote in message
Stefan,
I was talking about the heading after I inserted a TOC, the one I saw at the
top of the table. When I created my own style of table of content, it didn't
show the words "Table of Content".
Sorry for giving you so many troubles and thanks again.
Patrick

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
PatLee PatLee is offline

On Tuesday, December 4, 2012 5:47:10 PM UTC+8, PatLee wrote:
dear all,

I'm using MS Office 2010. When using Word, I insert a TOC with 3 layers (by using different header styles). After I choose the TOC by below steps, there is a header description "Table of Content", how can I define one during the modification?

1)select "reference"

2)select "Table of Content"

3)select "insert table of content"

4)I choose modify to change the fonts & add a border

5)click "ok"

6)the TOC inserted.

Please help and thanks in advance.

Stefan,
I modified the style and then use the standard TOC,it shows the heading.
Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I'm glad you got it sorted. Thank you for the follow-up.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP