jdanniel jdanniel is offline
Junior Member

Default Outlines: Formatting them After Finished Creating Them?

May I please request some assistance with outlines? I’m using Word 2010.

Today, I made an outline, but absent-mindedly forgot to select an option for numbering. I only remembered the Multi Level List feature after I finished the entire outline…which is four pages long.

I went back into the outline and tried formatting it using the Multi Level List feature, but it didn’t really do what I wanted. The outline just didn’t format correctly. There were numbers such as 1) and 2) where a) and b) should be.

I want the outline to look something like this:

1) Advantages of Use
a) First Advantage
b) Second Advantage
2) Disadvantages of Use
a) First Advantage
b) Second Advantage
1) Sub Heading
2) Second Subheading
I also tried collapsing the entries at Heading 1, highlighting them, and then formatting them. That turned out to be a colossal mess.

So, my question is: What’s the easiest way of properly formatting the outline, without having to start it over from scratch?

If you need further details from me to help solve this problem, please let me know.

Thank you! Jd

Last edited by jdanniel : December 13th 12 at 11:44 AM
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

When you created the outline, did you use heading styles consistently? In that
case, it will be a fairly simple task to apply multilevel numbering to the
headings; see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...g20072010.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"jdanniel" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

More specifically, place the insertion point in the first Heading 1 paragraph.
Click Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List. Set up numbering
step by step, as discussed in the article.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message ...

When you created the outline, did you use heading styles consistently? In that
case, it will be a fairly simple task to apply multilevel numbering to the
headings; see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...g20072010.html.

jdanniel jdanniel is offline
Junior Member