alpaca alpaca is offline
Junior Member

Default View linked images in draft mode

In order to save space in my big Word documents, when using Word 2003, I changed all my images from "embedded" to "linked."

Now, with Word 2010, I cannot see anything where the image occurs in the document: there are no placeholders (when that option is turned on), there is no link name (when that option is on), there is nothing to indicate the image except a big blank space where it's supposed to go.

In other view modes, the images appear as they should.

So my question is: is there any way to turn on some sort of hidden "display linked images when in draft mode" switch? I can find nothing like that in the normal places one goes to change view and display settings.

Thanks for any help....
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Draft view has limited capabilities in Word 2007 and later compared to
earlier versions. There is no way around that, unfortunately.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"alpaca" wrote in message

In order to save space in my big Word documents, when using Word 2003, I
changed all my images from "embedded" to "linked."

Now, with Word 2010, I cannot see anything where the image occurs in the
document: there are no placeholders (when that option is turned on),
there is no link name (when that option is on), there is nothing to
indicate the image except a big blank space where it's supposed to go.

In other view modes, the images appear as they should.

So my question is: is there any way to turn on some sort of hidden
"display linked images when in draft mode" switch? I can find nothing
like that in the normal places one goes to change view and display
settings.

Thanks for any help....

--
alpaca

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To clarify: Draft view is less what-you-see-is-what-you-get in recent
versions of Word.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"alpaca" wrote in message

In order to save space in my big Word documents, when using Word 2003, I
changed all my images from "embedded" to "linked."

Now, with Word 2010, I cannot see anything where the image occurs in the
document: there are no placeholders (when that option is turned on),
there is no link name (when that option is on), there is nothing to
indicate the image except a big blank space where it's supposed to go.

In other view modes, the images appear as they should.

So my question is: is there any way to turn on some sort of hidden
"display linked images when in draft mode" switch? I can find nothing
like that in the normal places one goes to change view and display
settings.

Thanks for any help....

--
alpaca

alpaca alpaca is offline
Junior Member

Thanks very much for your reply about draft mode being less capable in later versions of Word. I was hoping there was a better answer, but will make do. Thanks again.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In case you are wondering, Microsoft hasn't explained *why* Draft view has
changed (as far as I know).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP