confused

Default temporary files dont delete

Once a document is saved in Word, and even after exiting the program, the
..tmp files do not delete, and cannot be deleted manually. the "access is
denied" window appears. any ideas why?
Jay Freedman

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 08:51:05 -0800, "confused"
wrote:

Once a document is saved in Word, and even after exiting the program, the
.tmp files do not delete, and cannot be deleted manually. the "access is
denied" window appears. any ideas why?

You'll often need to reboot to free the files so you can delete them.
Also, if you use Word as your email editor, make sure Outlook is shut
down too.

See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm for a batch
file to do cleanup.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Jim D.

I am trying to help someone at my job with the same problem. I have read all
the messages about Word's temp files but still can't figure out why this is
occurring. The user gets lots of temporary files in the same folders as his
documents, and they are NOT deleted when Word closes. I can't write a batch
file to delete them (which, in any case, should not be necessary if Word is
operating as it says it is) because he stores his documents in many
subfolders, creating new ones all the time to keep his work organized. Or
perhaps it is possible to write a batch file that navigates through all
subfolders on a computer? As I said above, this appears to be a significant
glitch in Word (by the way, he is using Word 2002).

Thanks for any insights.
===========

wrote:

Once a document is saved in Word, and even after exiting the program, the
.tmp files do not delete, and cannot be deleted manually. the "access is
denied" window appears. any ideas why?

You'll often need to reboot to free the files so you can delete them.
Also, if you use Word as your email editor, make sure Outlook is shut
down too.

See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm for a batch
file to do cleanup.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Failure to delete temp files can result from insufficient permissions on a
given folder, but it is also a bug associated with SMB packet signing on
certain versions of Windows server. What this mumbo-jumbo means, I have no
clue, but Terry Farrell is knowledgeable about it.

wrote:

Once a document is saved in Word, and even after exiting the program,

the
.tmp files do not delete, and cannot be deleted manually. the "access

is
denied" window appears. any ideas why?

You'll often need to reboot to free the files so you can delete them.
Also, if you use Word as your email editor, make sure Outlook is shut
down too.

See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm for a batch
file to do cleanup.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jim D.

The user is on a single non-networked computer (he is working at home), so I
don't think the SMB packet issue could be the problem. I'm not sure whether
he could have "insufficient permissions" on a folder, since I'm not sure how
this would work on a single computer where the user is the administrator.

Jim Dutton
==========

wrote:

Once a document is saved in Word, and even after exiting the program,

the
.tmp files do not delete, and cannot be deleted manually. the "access

is
denied" window appears. any ideas why?

You'll often need to reboot to free the files so you can delete them.
Also, if you use Word as your email editor, make sure Outlook is shut
down too.

See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm for a batch
file to do cleanup.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Well, this does seem to cover all the bases. The only other instance in
which temp files would not be deleted when you close the document or quit
Word would be when Word hangs or the system crashes. In such cases, after
restarting Windows, the temp files are released and can be deleted manually.
If this is not the situation (and I imagine it is not), I would suspect a
poorly written add-in of causing the problem.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Failure to delete temp files can result from insufficient permissions on

given folder, but it is also a bug associated with SMB packet signing on
certain versions of Windows server. What this mumbo-jumbo means, I have

no
clue, but Terry Farrell is knowledgeable about it.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.