Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stevenpa

Default Batch editing metadata?

Are there any programs supplied by MS or a third party that simplify the
process of editing metadata, especially Word files? I'm not looking to strip
metadata from files, but rather am looking to organize my files better.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Depends how meta you like your data. Protege is free from
stanford.edu/protege. There's a free Bayesian Network editor at
research.microsoft.com/adapt/MSBNx/

"stevenpa" wrote in message
Are there any programs supplied by MS or a third party that simplify the
process of editing metadata, especially Word files? I'm not looking to
strip
metadata from files, but rather am looking to organize my files better.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stevenpa

Jezebel,

Kind thanks for your reply. I checked out both sites you recommended and
think that both programs are much beyond what I would like to do here. I
guess I'm looking at minimally meta-ing my data. ;-)

I have all of my Word files (Excel too, but mainly Word) organized in
folders and over the past 6 years my collection of files has grown so much
that I need a way to "tag" them so that I can access them easily or at least
easier than I am now. What I'd like to do is just go into each folder,
batch-edit fields like "name", "subject", "keywords", etc. and then fine tune
each file individually if need be.

There are all kinds of DOS-based programs out there for (re-)tagging mp3s
and jpegs, but I can find only one program
(http://peccatte.karefil.com/software...adataMiner.htm) that does
the same thing for MS Office files. All would be fine and I would use that
program, but the company wants $175 for it. No way am I paying that much.

"stevenpa" wrote in message
Are there any programs supplied by MS or a third party that simplify the
process of editing metadata, especially Word files? I'm not looking to
strip
metadata from files, but rather am looking to organize my files better.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

There's a freebie somewhere on the Microsoft site that reads document
properties, but I'm not sure if it writes them. Failing that, I'm not aware
of any options other than opening the files and doing it manually. There are
macros around that will do some of this in bulk (eg 'open all the files in
this folder and set properties X, Y, and Z ...'); but it usually turns out
that you've spent more time mucking around with the macro than you would
have spent doing it the hard way.

"stevenpa" wrote in message
Are there any programs supplied by MS or a third party that simplify
the
process of editing metadata, especially Word files? I'm not looking to
strip
metadata from files, but rather am looking to organize my files better.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stevenpa

Jezebel & Suzanne,

My sincerest thanks helping me with this one. The link to the Macro is half
of what I need in that, once running, it allows me to select various fields
and then compile a chart of that metadata for all files in a designated
folder. Very useful; thank you! Now I just need to find a way to batch-edit
that data!

MS Office Metadata Manager, where are you?! ;-)

"stevenpa" wrote in message
Are there any programs supplied by MS or a third party that simplify
the
process of editing metadata, especially Word files? I'm not looking

strip
metadata from files, but rather am looking to organize my files

better.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't know whether it will be helpful or not, but see
http://www.gmayor.com/batch_replace.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This article covers that subject, I think:
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/macrosvba/DSOFile.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"stevenpa" wrote in message
Are there any programs supplied by MS or a third party that

simplify
the
process of editing metadata, especially Word files? I'm not

looking
strip
metadata from files, but rather am looking to organize my files

better.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stevenpa

Suzanne,

I really appreciate your continued efforts here. The link to the Macro you
provided does seem promising and I will have to give it a go (a bit busy for
that today unfortunately). It doesn't seem to batch-edit though, which is
really the feature I'm after.

It baffles me that there isn't a comprehensive tool out there that can
batch-edit metadata. Is there something in the way the metadata is stored in
MS Office files that disallows for a separate program to access that data,
display all of the fields, and allow for batch editing?

Google a program called Tag&Rename for mp3s and you'll see exactly what I'm
after.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stevenpa

Okay, I was a bit quick with my reply there. The program you link to Suzanne
actually *does* batch edit metadata. However, it does not show all fields at
the same time, which would allow me to see all the metadata of all the files
in a given folder at once; kind of a bird's eye view.

What I want to do is see all of my files in a list or chart, click a column
of metadata ("Author" for example), enter new text into a separate dialogue
box, click "OK", and have that column updated with the new text.

As always, kind regards.

"stevenpa" wrote:

Suzanne,

I really appreciate your continued efforts here. The link to the Macro you
provided does seem promising and I will have to give it a go (a bit busy for
that today unfortunately). It doesn't seem to batch-edit though, which is
really the feature I'm after.

It baffles me that there isn't a comprehensive tool out there that can
batch-edit metadata. Is there something in the way the metadata is stored in
MS Office files that disallows for a separate program to access that data,
display all of the fields, and allow for batch editing?

Google a program called Tag&Rename for mp3s and you'll see exactly what I'm
after.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stevenpa

Suzanne,

Will do. Thanks so much your time and effort (Jezebel too)!

Is there any way to close this thread now?