JGT

Default formatting links from excel into word (extra line feeds)

I am having the same problem - extra line feeds before and after the linked
data.

Note that my data is NOT pasted into a table, as Reply 1 presumes. It is
just a word or two, or a few characters and numbers, paste-linked from Excel
into paragraph text in Word. Thus the solution proposed in Reply 1 does not
work for my problem.

Also note that when I pasted the linked data I specifically chose the "Match
Destination Formatting and Link to Excel" button. The linked data most
definitely does not match the destination formatting. Word seems to randomly
choose some other formatting style to apply to the linked data.

I am using MS Word 2002 (10.4219.4219) SP-2 on a PC running Windows XP
Professional, 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600.

Thanks....John

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?c3RhdCB0ZWFjaGVy?=,

I am trying to use excel and word to make up a test. When I make a link from
excel to word, I get a line feed padded both before and after the result of
the link. I can delete those line feeds, but when any update of the links
takes place, the line feeds return. How do I make the line feeds not appear?

Unfortunately, you don't mention the version of Word involved, but I'm guessing
it's a more recent version. Word needs oen paragraph mark in order to store
information about the table it's maintaining in Word. I never see more than the
one paragraph mark, and if I select it then the entire table is selected.

If you're getting additional "line feeds" then perhaps you're including
something along with just the table cells in the selection in Excel...?

What you might try would be to activate text wrapping AROUND the table. Then you
should be able to select the paragraph mark linked to the table and format it
with a font size of 1 pt, making it virtually invisible. I just tested in Word
2003, and the formatting was retained even when updating the data.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi John,

If you go through Edit/Paste Special, choose "Unformatted text" and activate
"Link", do you get a better result?