carole6722

Default Header & Footer "This point foward" applies previous

I have a 20 page document. I want the first and second page not to have a
header/footer. When I try the option "this point foward, it applies it to the
second page, even though I'm inserting it on page 3.

Thank you in advance

Daiya Mitchell

Exactly what are you selecting that you think means "remove the
header/footer from these pages"? Cause I don't think that exists in Word.

Anyhow.

Go to the end of your second page. Insert | Break | Section Break Next Page.
View Header and Footer. In the second section that you just created, click
the "link to previous" icon on the header/footer toolbar, to turn it off.
Put the header/footer that you want in the second section. Go to the
previous section and delete any text in the header/footer.

You might also need to go to File | Page Setup | Layout and make sure that
you haven't turned on First Page Header or Odd/Even Headers because you
thought they were the correct route to what you needed. They aren't.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

carole6722

What I'm trying to do is select "this point foward" in document layout part
of the Header & Footer. I followed your instructions and it worked as far as
not applying to the first and second page, which is great! However, it only
applied to the page I did the footer on, P.3 and not the rest of the
document. Again, I tried "Apply to this point foward" but it doesn't. And
when I close the header and footer and then go back, the Apply to this point
forward is back to the default "Apply to selection" so I'm not sure what to
do.

Thanks!

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

[...]

"This point forward" just tells Word to insert a section break in the
document. This works only in the document body, not in the header/footer
pane, which by default applies to the whole document/section.

news

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

[...]

What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/