kelseyh

Default Open Read-Only in Word

When I try to open my document as a Read-Only, it opens the original
document, not the Read-Only. I know that I can change the properties to
Read-Only, but do not want to have to change it every time I want to open it
as original or read-only. Does anyone have any idea why the option for Open
Read-Only doesn't work? The Open as Copy works just fine. Any help would be
great!
CyberTaz

Hi Kelsey-

You don't mention version. Good to know for future reference, but in this
case it probably doesn't matter.

Are you using the Read Only option from the Open button in the Open File
dialog box? What makes you believe it is opening for editing rather than
Read Only.

Check the Title Bar and see if (Read Only) appears after the file name. The
doc will not look or behave any differently when opened as Read Only other
than that. You can even make any changes you want to a file opened as Read
Only... the only difference is what happens if you try to Save those changes
or close the file. That's when you get reminded that the file has been
opened as Read Only and changes must be saved as a different file or
discarded.

If this is not the case for your situation, please post back with results &
more detail as well as Windows & Word versions.

Regards |:)

On 4/20/05 4:32 PM, in article
, "kelseyh" wrote:

When I try to open my document as a Read-Only, it opens the original
document, not the Read-Only. I know that I can change the properties to
Read-Only, but do not want to have to change it every time I want to open it
as original or read-only. Does anyone have any idea why the option for Open
Read-Only doesn't work? The Open as Copy works just fine. Any help would be
great!

kelseyh

Hi,
Yes - the down arrow from the open button in the Open dialog box. I know for
a fact that it is open in edit mode and not read only because it does not say
read only on the top, and I unfortunately found that out after I had made all
my changes - pressed save to open the save as box, and it just saved it
instead of prompting me to rename it. I have many years of experience with
word and other office products, but this absolutely baffles me. - I spent
nearly an hour trying to figure it out! It is not my computer that I have
been using, and am not there right now, so I have no idea what version it is.
I believe that it is 2003 XP?

, "kelseyh" wrote:

When I try to open my document as a Read-Only, it opens the original
document, not the Read-Only. I know that I can change the properties to
Read-Only, but do not want to have to change it every time I want to open it
as original or read-only. Does anyone have any idea why the option for Open
Read-Only doesn't work? The Open as Copy works just fine. Any help would be
great!

CyberTaz

Hi Kelsey-

I can' t explain why the Read Only option isn't working when you open the
file as you describe. I have not experienced the problem, nor have I seen any
reference to it in the Groups. You might check the 'Application Errors' group
for a related issue.

In the meantime, keep in mind that if you do use the ToolsOptionsSecurity,
Password to Modify you don't have to keep changing it back and forth to edit.
When you open the file you are prompted as to whether you want to open it to
Modify or as Read Only.

Regards |:)