Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
roccogrand roccogrand is offline

Default Page numbers - Word 2007

Somehow I have changed Word so that when I try inserting the page number, it
now inserts a stored screenshot into the footer. How can I can get it to
insert the page numbers again?

Thx.

David
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The page number tool inserts a 'building block' page number. It seems that
you have probably overwritten the building block with another that contains
a screen shot. The simplest solution is to remove the Building Blocks.dotx
file from the folder

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Document
Building Blocks\nnnn where nnnn is the number associated with the
formatting language.

Word will then rebuild a new default Building Blocks.dotx.

roccogrand wrote:
Somehow I have changed Word so that when I try inserting the page
number, it now inserts a stored screenshot into the footer. How can
I can get it to insert the page numbers again?

Thx.

David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi David,

In Word 2007, there are 36 'galleries' (collection boxes) for storing reusable 'stuff' for insertion into your documents. Among
these are four 'Page number' galleries, with previews.

If you use Insert-Page Number=Bottom of Page and scroll the list, if you find that the format you are using has the picture in it
you can right click the entry and use 'Organize and Delete' to remove it.

You can also type in to a document footer the page number the way you'd like it to appear, select it with the mouse, then again use
Insert=Page Number=Bottom of page
and choose the 'Save Selection as Page Number(Bottom)
to add that choice. When you save a new entry, a
'Create New Building Block' dialog appears. If you want your new entry to appear at the top of the gallery examples/list each
time you use it, then keep in mind that the Gallery entries are displayed alphabetically, within a gallery.

By default (except in the page number galleries g) the 'Built-in' category is the first category alphanumerically (in the case of
the page numbers the 'Simple' gallery is actually named ' Simple' (a space is the first character in the gallery title) so those
entries appear first.

For most galleries starting a new category that you create such as
~My Page Numbers or
1. Page Numbers
those categories would appear first. Because of the ' Simple' category you may need to put a space first in your category to have
them appear first as well.

Within each category, individual building blocks (gallery content) are likewise arranged alphanumerically.

All of the entries for all of the galleries can be reviewed, removed, relocated to another gallery or category or renamed from
Insert=Quick Parts=Building Block Organizer

Once in the Organizer click on the 'gallery' column header to sort by gallery name, alphabetically, then double click on the
'divider line' on the right side of the gallery header, to expand the column width so you can see the full name of the galleries to
review them or edit/remove any you may not want.

===========

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
roccogrand roccogrand is offline

Thanks Graham,

That did the trick.

David

roccogrand wrote:
Somehow I have changed Word so that when I try inserting the page
number, it now inserts a stored screenshot into the footer. How can
I can get it to insert the page numbers again?

Thx.

David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
roccogrand roccogrand is offline

Thanks Bob,

Graham's solution worked once I found the correct folder. Your response was
very informative, I wasn't aware of the gallery portfolio.

David