Bish Bosh

Default Normal template keeps growing!

Word 2003 keeps slowing up as the normal.dot grows to several MB. I'm having
to delete it regularly to keep Word moving. Even when I double-click the
normal template and immediately close without saving the file grows by about
80kB.

I've used the support template (/a), but, strangely enough, it can't rename
normal.dot because "permission denied".

Any idea?
Charles Kenyon

You can't rename normal.dot when Word is open (or Outlook if you have tied
it to Word).

Do you have "Fast Saves" or versions enabled?
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Bish Bosh" Bish wrote in message
Word 2003 keeps slowing up as the normal.dot grows to several MB. I'm
having
to delete it regularly to keep Word moving. Even when I double-click the
normal template and immediately close without saving the file grows by
about
80kB.

I've used the support template (/a), but, strangely enough, it can't
rename
normal.dot because "permission denied".

Any idea?

Bish Bosh

I was assuming the 'Support Template' is opening WinWord with an /a so that
it doesn't use the normal.dot?

I don't have Fast Saves or versions enabled. There are no add-ins or macros
connected to anything. There doesn't appear to be a virus on the system.
And yet the normal template gets a little bigger everytime I shut down Word
even if I haven't made any changes to the document I've just opened.

I'm at a loss as to what is happening; I've downloaded and installed SP2,
but no difference.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

You can't rename normal.dot when Word is open (or Outlook if you have tied
it to Word).

Do you have "Fast Saves" or versions enabled?
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Bish Bosh" Bish wrote in message
Word 2003 keeps slowing up as the normal.dot grows to several MB. I'm
having
to delete it regularly to keep Word moving. Even when I double-click the
normal template and immediately close without saving the file grows by
about
80kB.

I've used the support template (/a), but, strangely enough, it can't
rename
normal.dot because "permission denied".

Any idea?

Bish Bosh

I still have the problem of normal.dot growing. After I have deleted
normal.dot, Word creates a new one about 88KB size. I then close Word and
open an existing Word document and, without saving the file, I close Word
again. I watch normal.dot grow to 147KB. I do the same and it grows to
206KB. In normal use, the normal.dot file can quickly grow to many MB and
Word slows right down. Does this not happen to other people?

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

You can't rename normal.dot when Word is open (or Outlook if you have
tied
it to Word).

Do you have "Fast Saves" or versions enabled?
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Bish Bosh" Bish wrote in message
Word 2003 keeps slowing up as the normal.dot grows to several MB. I'm
having
to delete it regularly to keep Word moving. Even when I double-click
the
normal template and immediately close without saving the file grows by
about
80kB.

I've used the support template (/a), but, strangely enough, it can't
rename
normal.dot because "permission denied".

Any idea?

Graham Mayor

Do you have tools options save prompt to save normal.dot checked? If
not do so- and leave it like that. Word then cannot save changes to
normal.dot without your permission. If then something is causing the prompt
each time you close, you need to establish what that is. Start with
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then reopen Word and
close it. Agree to the prompt. If Word prompts next time it is opened and
closed, then something is conflicting with it - see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

You can't rename normal.dot when Word is open (or Outlook if you
have tied
it to Word).

Do you have "Fast Saves" or versions enabled?
--
Charles Kenyon

Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version
of Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide) http://addbalance.com/usersguide

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Bish Bosh" Bish wrote in message
Word 2003 keeps slowing up as the normal.dot grows to several MB.
I'm having
to delete it regularly to keep Word moving. Even when I
double-click the
normal template and immediately close without saving the file
grows by about
80kB.

I've used the support template (/a), but, strangely enough, it
can't rename
normal.dot because "permission denied".

Any idea?

Troubleshooting Prompt to Save Normal Template Liryjo Microsoft Word Help 1 August 19th 05 02:24 PM
Switching to Normal template fails... jabroni Page Layout 0 July 15th 05 09:02 PM
Normal template lindsays Mailmerge 1 May 3rd 05 11:40 PM
can I change the normal (global) template so word always opens wi. queenjude Microsoft Word Help 2 March 22nd 05 07:27 PM
How do I get left rulers back after normal template has been corr. japk Page Layout 1 February 10th 05 04:54 PM